booby feeding help is this normal

skyraaa

Reaction score
iv been breastfeeding on demand since summer was born, all has been fine but now she seems 2 be guzzling drinking very quick . then making herself choke.
also she gets really powerfull hickups 4 about 15mins or so, how do i stop this or help this problem

with winding her she doesnt seem 2 bring that up very well is it conected

any help wud b great
xxx

The milk flow could be a little fast for her to cope with at the minute, or she needs to burp/pass wind. How long is she usually on for before she starts to choke?

You could stop the feed before then and wind her, try her in a different position and/or use infacol.

This is very common, I had this prob for quite some time and tried many things. Maybe you have a fast let down, the initial thirst quenching foremilk can jet out very quiclkly making it hard for baby to swallow the milk in time. Even though it can leave the other boob painfully full, 'block feeding' can help, this ensures the breast is being emptied of fore and hind milk so that baby is having a proper feed each time. The times will be all according to how much you can bear the fullness of the other breast really, at your stage this will prob be around 2 hours or less before swapping boobs. I fed lying down too, this way the milk didn't seem to 'jet' out.
I noticed when I expressed milk that the initial fast let down didn't last too long, but as I watched it spurt out I thought no wonder Ricky was stuggling to gulp it down, it's a shame boobs dont act like taps where you can reduce and increase the pressure of milk flow!
With regard to the winding it's highly likekly that she doesn't have much wind to bring up, even though you would think she must due to gulping/hiccups etc, there will be very little air being swallowed and any wind will take a while to escape, usually from their other end during digestion.
Good luck, I'm sure there'll be more advice soon from others too! :D

thanks 4 replies she is usually on about 2-3 min b4 she chokes but then she tents to calm herself down and keep feeding,
she also messes about lol by coming off then takin a while 2 latch on again, i know she wants it still coz shes makin that noise they make and is rooting. but while shes doing his my milk is going everywhere

xxx

What are her poos like? It sounds like she's getting the foremilk very fast but not staying on long enough to get the hind milk. you could try breast compression. take your breast in your hand and squeeze it but not so hard it hurts. this encourages the milk to move down.

her poos are grainy and yellow, i know shes putting on weight she was 7lb 11 when she was born then weighed at 12 days she was 8lb 8 little biffa lol

you could try hand expressing a little before she goes on so the letdown wont be so quick.

This was happening a lot with Jacob but is luckily more rare now. I let him start, and when he starts to choke I stop him, catch the spray that is normally coming out for a short time (even just 10 seconds) and then let him continue. If he starts choking again later I will just repeat. This has made a big difference and Jacob is sick much less often now. Don't stop her for too long or she'll miss out on the foremilk and probably get too angry to feed properly.

Sounds like your doing a fab job :clap: i always found that Cooper didn't bring up many burps at all but he'd fart for england! :lol: Also Coop gets hiccups loads but they don't really seem to bother him and didn't when he was younger. It def sounds like your flow is too fast but as you say she is going back on and feeding so that should be fine and sure she'll get used to it. Cooper sometimes wakes with a milk moustance where i must have sprayed him in the face in the middle of the night :lol:

sounds like ur describing let-down in the early months- i used to have such an abundant milk supply the first few suckles would set it off squirting far too fast for her to keep up and she would choke. i found if i let her take a few sucks to start the flow, then hand-express the excess into a cup before latching her back on. x

thanks 4 all your help il try expressin a little b4 or during if she chokes.

this forum is so great dont think id get by without it xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back