BLW - what would you do?!

l_maclean

Reaction score
I need advice on where I go from here.

Last night G got her hands on the garlic bread, and in the spirit of BLW got stuck right in. This morning she pulled a chunk off her granpa's breakfast roll - although we took that off her! DH then offered her a wee bit of toast :wall2: - but again she coped well, including a bit of gagging when she shovelled in too much.

I just don't know what to do now. She's obviously ready to wean, but I dunno how to do it. I was all set to BLW, but not sure if that's a good idea at this age. In saying that, if there is a debate about her digestive system being ready, surely allowing her to do it on her own is better than spoon feeding her purrees!

I have no problems going slowly, I just don't know how slowly. 1 new food a week?? Anything specific?? Lunch or dinner??

(in case it helps there aren't any real probs with allergies in either side of the family)

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I think if you are set on it give her something other than bread as I 'think' people advise no bread before 6 months because of gluten(?) I didn't realise this! Maybe stick to first foods ( purée wise) just not puréed like porridge or porridge fingers, carrot, parsnip etc

Don't know if this is 'right' but not sure what else to advise?

I am slightly dubious as from about 4 months Tyler would grab anything (food or not, I just never let him near food) and put it in his mouth so I wouldn't say that means she's ready iykwim but I'd just use your judgement and be sensible :)

Thanks Becky. Didn't really want to start on the bread it just so happened that way.

I'm as sure as I can be that she's ready. Even last week she'd have sat near food and not been interested, now she's grabbing at it lots, and I don't wanna wait - just because the books say 6months, I kinda feel that pushing her to wait is as bad as forcing it on her if she's not ready.

It's just trying to work out what/how/when to give. Not sure if I wanna ask HV as I'm sure they'll say push to 6mnths, and I dunno if they have done much info on BLW. Xxx

Might be worth chatting to your hv, I was surprised how supposrtive she was about weaning before 6 months tbh. For me the doc said I shud wean him but I was dubious so spoke to hv and she agreed and made some suggestions which helped a lot!! Im TW as when I stared weaning at 18 weeks H wouldnt have been able to feed himself but now I am introducing some finger foods as I would like to do blw for his tea. I am avoiding anything questionable so no bread, egg, dairy etc but we are having fun experimenting with flavours. I tried banana first and he got on ok with that so maybe that is a good one to try first to see if she is ready.
xxxx

yeah so hard to know, we thought kayla was well ready for eary weaning so i have been starting her on baby rice, was advised 2 spoons a day for 2 weeks but she was loving it so let her have a good few spoons yesterday but her nappy today had little bits of undigested looking baby rice so think il stick to very small portions for now

My HV gave me a early weaning plan , Not BLW mind just traditional weaning but if you like pm me and i can email it to you

I was so confused but what she said and wrote down made a lot of sense and was working fine until i gave her too much yesterday

Thanks hugsy, that would be great. might give me some tips. xxx

Have u decided on anything?

I really really dont wanna go down the TW route - even more so now that i have the full BLW book rather than just the cook book.

"when a child on your lap grabs a handful of your dinner, chews and swallows it it then it might be time to push the plate nearer to her" - quote from the book.

Thats exactly what she did!! Also it says that starting solids too early can reduce the milk appetite - and I have the feeling that she'd end up with more in her tummy if i spoon feed her.

We already had a gagging incident when we left her with the bread, and she coped well with it.

What i think im gonna do is sort out her high chair, get her a cup and/or spoon to play with at the dinner table. If she's happy with that while we're eating then thats good - but if shes gonna keep trying to get the food - then will offer her some of the first foods - like carrots etc.

xxx

Sounds like a plan :) she's not going to starve she's just interested. I agree about the TWing at least this way is it is a tad early she'll be going at her own pace. When we started Tyler he'd wolf it down and had less milk but the last couple of days he's drunk more milk and not eaten as much so I think they can tell what they need and when.

When I say she's not going to starve I mean she still gets everything from the milk not that i think you're starving her!

It's ok, I know what you meant. Just been out for lunch and shes not a happy bunny at not getting share. Gave her a Bickie peg to chew on but she wasn't fooled.

DH is reading some of the book, and kdecided if she's looking for food, we'll give banana this week but nothing else, so we're going really slow. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back