blood results :(

adele88

Reaction score
So I went to see the midwife for my 30 week app the other day they taking blood and told me it was to see if I was anemic which is common in pregnancy and if so they would give me a call couple of days later. I got a call today saying im anemic and I have to pick up a prescripton from my doc on monday. What does this mean anyone else anemic?

Last edited:
I'm not hun but it prob means you will have iron tablets. I have never taken them but apparantly they can make you constipated so you'll have to stock up on fibre and orange juice x

It'll be iron tablets. Anemia can make you feel tired x

well... that explains why im always tired and sleeping all the time lol

What are the symptoms?

Some people with anaemia don't have any symptoms for months. When symptoms do appear, common ones include lethargy, weakness, dizzy spells and feeling faint.
As the anaemia becomes more severe, shortness of breath, palpitations, headaches, sore mouth and gums, and brittle nails may cause problems. People
may look pale and find that others around them notice they're looking peaky.

What causes it?

Iron is needed to make haemoglobin. A shortage of iron is the most common cause of anaemia in the UK, known as iron-deficiency anaemia. This may be due to blood loss, either sudden - when a stomach ulcer bursts, for example - or over time, such as when a woman has heavy periods. A lack of iron may also be due to a dietary deficiency.
Pregnancy is a time when the body may become lacking in iron such that anaemia develops.
As well as iron, vitamins B12 and folic acid are also needed to make properly functioning red blood cells.
Red blood cells are made in bone marrow, so if this is damaged and can't function properly a shortage of good red blood cells results. This is the case in a rare form of anaemia called aplastic anaemia, and with leukaemia.
In some conditions, red blood cells mature and are destroyed by the body too quickly. This type of anaemia is called haemolytic anaemia and is often caused by an inherited condition, such as sickle cell anaemia.
People with chronic diseases, such as cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney failure and rheumatoid arthritis, may also suffer with anaemia.

Just a bit of info for you Adele :)

I had this blood test at my last appointment with the midwife.
i have to take 2 iron tablets a day (you may be different depending on your levels) and had to have another blood test 2 weeks after having the first one to check if the tablets were working.

It is very common in pregnancy to develop anemia, wouldn't worry too much. maybe chat to your midwife or GP if you are worried.

katie xx

What are the symptoms?

Some people with anaemia don't have any symptoms for months. When symptoms do appear, common ones include lethargy, weakness, dizzy spells and feeling faint.
As the anaemia becomes more severe, shortness of breath, palpitations, headaches, sore mouth and gums, and brittle nails may cause problems. People
may look pale and find that others around them notice they're looking peaky.

What causes it?

Iron is needed to make haemoglobin. A shortage of iron is the most common cause of anaemia in the UK, known as iron-deficiency anaemia. This may be due to blood loss, either sudden - when a stomach ulcer bursts, for example - or over time, such as when a woman has heavy periods. A lack of iron may also be due to a dietary deficiency.
Pregnancy is a time when the body may become lacking in iron such that anaemia develops.
As well as iron, vitamins B12 and folic acid are also needed to make properly functioning red blood cells.
Red blood cells are made in bone marrow, so if this is damaged and can't function properly a shortage of good red blood cells results. This is the case in a rare form of anaemia called aplastic anaemia, and with leukaemia.
In some conditions, red blood cells mature and are destroyed by the body too quickly. This type of anaemia is called haemolytic anaemia and is often caused by an inherited condition, such as sickle cell anaemia.
People with chronic diseases, such as cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney failure and rheumatoid arthritis, may also suffer with anaemia.

Just a bit of info for you Adele :)
#

aww thank you that was really helpful. alot of those symptoms match up to how i usually feel never realised anything was wrong with me though just thought it was pregnancy symptoms. i get my tablets on monday so hopefully they should make me feel better

I had this blood test at my last appointment with the midwife.
i have to take 2 iron tablets a day (you may be different depending on your levels) and had to have another blood test 2 weeks after having the first one to check if the tablets were working.

It is very common in pregnancy to develop anemia, wouldn't worry too much. maybe chat to your midwife or GP if you are worried.

katie xx

thank you i will do next time i see her xx

I have been prescribed iron tabs too - Im useless though, keep forgetting to take them. 3 times a day! I wish there was a one a day dose! :(

Hi Rosie's mum, I was in the U.K when I had my son and never had to take iron tablets, but we have moved to Malta and it is standard precedure here to take them after 20 something weeks. I hated taking the tablets as they leave a horrible aftertaste and made me constipated, but I have found a fantastic alternative which is a 100% natural liquid source of iron which you take once a day with abit of juice, its called 'Spatone' and I have to say that since I have been taking it, I do feel so much better and no constipation!! Hope this helps.xx

aww thank you that was really helpful. alot of those symptoms match up to how i usually feel never realised anything was wrong with me though just thought it was pregnancy symptoms. i get my tablets on monday so hopefully they should make me feel better
I got it with Jacob and didn't notice until I had a blood test. Felt so much better after the tablets though :)

Hi Rosie's mum, I was in the U.K when I had my son and never had to take iron tablets, but we have moved to Malta and it is standard precedure here to take them after 20 something weeks. I hated taking the tablets as they leave a horrible aftertaste and made me constipated, but I have found a fantastic alternative which is a 100% natural liquid source of iron which you take once a day with abit of juice, its called 'Spatone' and I have to say that since I have been taking it, I do feel so much better and no constipation!! Hope this helps.xx

So sorry that was also meant for you too adele88 seeing as you started the thread;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back