iron levels...??

lisa&alex

Reaction score
anyone taking iron tablets because your anemic??

read last night an article in a magazing.. might have been love it..(in the doctor section.. where you as a doctor questons etc) this woman was asking if its ok to give tea to children as her mil gives her kids sweet tea every sunday..the doctor said.. sugar is obviously bad for the kids..and tea is a stimulant (whioch we all know) that kids dont need.. also it can hinder iron absorbance.. < which i didnt know..

so perhaps if you are anemic.. limit or cut out the tea? it might help..:)

midna said:
Aye caffeine does hinder the bodys ability to absorb iron ...but still I think you would probs need a fair bit of it. They reccomend no more than 6 cups in preggo dont they dunno that I could drink more cuppas than that a day anyway :puke:

was i talkign to you? no well faff off then.

I was told not to drink anything with caffeen in it an hour before or after taking my iron tablets and to drink plenty of orange juice when I take them and eat lots of things for vitamin C.

The good news is I was advised to eat a little bit of dark chocolate as it contains Iron so ladies you you like the stuff enjoy. You now have an excuse lol

I am taking iron tablets.

The first batch I got from the midwife never came with any additional info, but the next pack from the doctor came with a huge sheet telling me not to take caffine or milk 1 hour before or after each tablet. Also to increase my intake of vit c. xx

yep, i was told not to drink it when having my iron tablets.. plenty of fresh orange though as that helps the body absorb it :hug:

Apparently its the done thing here to make women take iron tablets during their last trimester so as to aid the healing process during labour because we loose so much blood... (I did want to point out to the mw that we also have more blood in our bodies because we are pregnant, but didn't think that was polite...so am just taking the tablets to keep her quiet...)

Tea will interfere with the absorption of iron, but not in a huge way, unless you are drinking bucket loads of it... like 6 or 7 cups of strong tea a day... Drinking or eating dairy produce also interferes with iron absorption, but obviously offers other important minerals. I am not allowed to have any dairy produce two hours before or after my tablets... which makes a bundle of sense :roll:

midna said:
lisa&alex said:
midna said:
Aye caffeine does hinder the bodys ability to absorb iron ...but still I think you would probs need a fair bit of it. They reccomend no more than 6 cups in preggo dont they dunno that I could drink more cuppas than that a day anyway :puke:

was i talkign to you? no well faff off then.

sorry DR LISA ...dont make me bump your violin thread. :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: What Would This Tri Be Without You 2 :rotfl: The Pair Of You Crack Me Up! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have been prescribed iron tablets as I was slightly aneamic, but I have to admit I have stopped taking them regulkarly as they were making me feel soooo nauseous and i couldn't function at all during the day. i try to take one once a week and eat spinach and dark chocloate (not together!) - I haven't felt faint or dizzy like I did before diagnosis. But, I do feel out of breath every few days, not sure if this is anaemia or just at 38 weeks ish, that pregnancy "out of breath" ness.

Anyone else feel sick on the tablets?
BF x

that 2 of the girls have been ill on iron tablets.. like yourself.. and their doctor/midwife reduced the dose... i think your doing well with it yourself.. i only take my preg vitamines when i feel a bit rubbish.. usually 2-3 times a week..apparently there is reserch going on into iron tablets being taken when you dont need them can cuase harm.. so i would rather only take it every now and again just to boost my levels..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back