Birthing classes - Useful for labour??

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
We had our first birthing class today and although I knew quite a lot from being on here I also learnt more from the class as well as what I'd read on the forum. I found it quite useful and do feel that bit more prepared for it all as they taught us how to do our breathing exercises and how to stop yourself from pushing when your not ready to (even if you think you are!). Was just wondering if you found what you learnt from your classes useful when you was actually in labour? did you remember what you had been taught and did you benefit from going to the classes? Also my OH found them really useful and really enjoyed them (I wasn't sure if he would), he feels more prepared for the experience now. Did it make a difference to your OH's supporting you through it when the time came? Thankyou in advance for any replies :hug: :hug:

hiya laura, ive already said in the 3rd tri that i didnt think ours were useful but reading this on here has got me wondering.... what did they tell/teach you to do to stop yourself from pushing if/when youre not ready? I dont feel prepared for labour at all from going to our classes :|

Hi :wave:

We went birthing classes and really enjoyed them! i definatly think it was an eye opener for my OH and prepared him more for the birth and what i would be going through!
As for me im not sure i remembered the whole breathing through contractions thing, i just did what i could to get through! :lol:
I certainly learnt one very important piece of advice and that was the panting on the crowning of the head... i was determined not to tear, and it worked! in my eyes it was worth it just for that :lol:

Hey kerry, they told us when you feel you want to push but your cervix isn't ready for you to then you have to pant really hard like a dog (yes those were the M/W's words!) if you push too soon then your cervix thickens or something like that anyway and then it can take hours for it to go back to how it was (i think thats how she said it!) Also when your having a contraction you breathe in really hard and then out slowly, breathe hard as the contraction is intensifying and out as the pain is subsiding and its the same when breathing the G&A, she said you have to breath really hard to get the full benefit of it. sorry I don't really explain things very well! Hope that helps you though :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

thanks for your reply emma! :hug: Definatly sounds like you found them useful, I really don't want to tear! Gonna pant for england I think!

now WHY dont they tell us useful things like that?!?! thats what i expected to learn at my classes :) thanks guys.

lauranjamesnbaby said:
thanks for your reply emma! :hug: Definatly sounds like you found them useful, I really don't want to tear! Gonna pant for england I think!

TBH tearing is one of those things that even doing things by the book, it still may happen.

I didn't tear because I was pushing when I shouldn't. I tore when LO's head crowned. Something had to give for him to come out :lol: :roll: Almost 10lb of him followed so not really surprising eh :rotfl: Didn't feel a thing though. Had no clue it had happened till MW told me :shock: Better to tear then have an episotomy though. Often tears don't need stiching and heal themselves.

I wanted them to leave me, I'd have rather torn, but they insisted on an episiotomy!! :(

Personally, I found the classes not that useful :| - most things you learn along the way, and from places like the PF FORUM!! I found this place so useful when preg!! :hug:

Thanks sherlock and claire. I agree with you claire, I don't think I would have known half as much if it wasn't for the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back