• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BF question

Mrsstuart01

Reaction score
Ok so LO is now latching on but feeding for aboutv5 mins before falling asleep ad dream feeding. Trying to strict and take him off but find myself doing nothing except feeding.
Is this normal at 3 days or what can I do differently? Xx

Is say normal hun- has ur milk come in yet? X

Its normal and best to just relax and rest letting him suckle for as long as he wants, its important for both you and him to establish your milk supply and bonding. Get some films on or a good book and make the most of the rest xx

Yep, same as Sarah said ^. My milk came in on third day too. As tiring as it is just keep letting him suck, even if he falls asleep let him detach himself. Would def recommend lasinoh nipple cream if u find u get sore- it was my life saver!..... Good luck with it hun, its hard for those first few weeks but stick at it if u can coz it gets easier :)

Hi, when babies are this young they tend to just "snack", there tummies are still very small. As they get bigger they feed for longer and are more satisfied and need feeding less frequently. Their tummies get bigger! I remember my mw told me it takes a good 3 weeks to establish bf so persevere!!
Good luck, ur doing great xx :)

get a stock of dvd's and make yourself comfy, the first week is hardest and they are constantly attatched to you and then week 4 they have a growth spurt and do it all over again. enjoy the time together, do skin to skin and snuggle up comfy and cosy on the sofa, with a fan in this weather lol. and you can justify some chocolate cos bf'ing burns calories lol

Exactly what everyone else has said. It's normal the important part is to try and enjoy it and get some R&R :) If she does fall asleep very quickly tickle her feet or something equally annoying. Remember if she's just sucking for the sake of sucking this is a good thing as it'll up your supply. Good luck!

I can only say what the others have... Also it's good to remember that when born their tummies are the the size of a marble hence the lots of little feeds.

The marble fills up quickly bit then soon needs replenishing so relax and enjoy your cuddles and make sure you get looked after and drink plenty of fluids especially thru the night xx

I'm the same as you mrsstuart!! It's getting a little better but ralph still on constantly xxx it gets very tiring but I'm sure it's gonna get better :)

We have been doing a mixture of bf and express/syringe feeding to deal with this as mr riven did the same thing...

We were given a three hourly feeding plan as Riven wasn't sucking properly once latched on, he got the latch every time just not the sucking part, he has now got the sucking part so I am changing his plan lol..

We got him doing this by putting our little finger in his mouth with the nib of the syringe and we push the plunger when he sucks so he gets milk if he stops we stop, that way he gets rewarded for sucking and it seems to have worked.

At the moment I feed him when he wants ( which isn't often as he sleeps a lot still) and then when we get to the three hourly feed dependant how much he has had in that three hours we feed him by syringe a certain amount. Not a fool proof way of doing it but it ensures he is fed regularly with something and he has started letting us know when he has had enough too so I don't think it will be long until we can drop all syringe feeds too yay lol

Xxxxx

We have been doing a mixture of bf and express/syringe feeding to deal with this as mr riven did the same thing...

We were given a three hourly feeding plan as Riven wasn't sucking properly once latched on, he got the latch every time just not the sucking part, he has now got the sucking part so I am changing his plan lol..

We got him doing this by putting our little finger in his mouth with the nib of the syringe and we push the plunger when he sucks so he gets milk if he stops we stop, that way he gets rewarded for sucking and it seems to have worked.

At the moment I feed him when he wants ( which isn't often as he sleeps a lot still) and then when we get to the three hourly feed dependant how much he has had in that three hours we feed him by syringe a certain amount. Not a fool proof way of doing it but it ensures he is fed regularly with something and he has started letting us know when he has had enough too so I don't think it will be long until we can drop all syringe feeds too yay lol

Xxxxx

Aw that's great news! Glad he is coming along! We had issues to start with too as Finlay didn't want to suck when he latched on, too much like hard work I think!! However he's in full flow now since my milk came in! Let's hope we can improve on his 90 minute intervals during the night- he thinks it's more fun to sleep all day and party all night!! Xx

it only takes 90 mins for breastmilk to be digested but as he grows he shouldnt need to feed every time his tummy is empty, he will naturally go longer between feeds it just takes time

God I hope so!! It's 5 am, so far tonight I've slept for 1 Hr 20 minutes. Every time I try to put him down he screams then falls asleep on mr while he's feeding! Also majorly sore nipples now! Apart from lansinoh any suggestions on how to ease bleeding nipples?? Xx

Savoy cabbage leaves!!
Didn't try it myself but I know a few people who swear by it.

Also rubbing in some of your milk is meant to help

Stick with it it gets better. Does it just hurt when he latches on or whilst feeding as well? Just check the latch is good as well as position of LO xx

Mainly when he latches on, then if he uses me as a dummy!! Last night he spat out some blood, poor baby!! Xx

hang in there, take paracetamol, lansinoah, breast milk on nipples and make sure the latch is good n dosent hurt too much and the have plenty of nipple in their mouth and arent just sucking the tip off. after about 7 days your nips toughen up a lot. cabbage leaves soothe engorged boobs. feed as often as necessary if you can the blood wont do him any harm

Last edited:
Hang in there hun. It gets better!

Make sure that the latch is correct and not hurting after the first couple of sucks cos that will shred you nips sweetie. Break the latch straight away if this happens.

I am pleased to report now 9 weeks in I get no pain at all when feeding

Thanks ladies. It's so reassuring to hear it will get better!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back