• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bedding?

Jade&Evie

Reaction score
We are planning to use a moses basket for the first few weeks or so then the cot. So far, I have bought 2 baby sleeping bags and some fitted sheets for the cot. I havn't got ANY blankets/sheets for moses basket yet and trekking around shops is my worst nightmare so I am going to treat 'myself' with a shopping spree on mothercare website- What should I be buying and how many blankets etc!?!

I'm useless! :wall:

I've just bought a few fitted sheets for the moses basked matress is all. I'm using sleeping bags so not worrying about anything else tbh.

If you want to you can get sheets and blankets for the moses basket if you don't plan on using sleeping bags. They make a Moses basket size :) Fitted sheet or some such for the mattress x 2 at least, plus top layers.

Everyone is different, I'm sure others will have bought something different :lol:

i ended up using a normal sheet around the matress. i got given one fitted moses sheet, but normal cot sheets worked ok for us!

:oops: i was wondering if I could do that- it seems that cot bedding costs 5 times more than our bedding does (sheets in primark are only a couple of quid!)...

think I might do that on the cot and just get a few fitted sheets for the moses basket.

I'm planning on using sleeping bags too so have only got 2 fitted sheets for the moses basket, and 2 flat sheets. (I only have the flat sheets cos they were given to me, I wouldn't have bothered buying them)

I've got 2 fitted sheets for the cot, 2 flat sheets and 2 blankets which I got in the mothercare bedding bale for £29.99.

I thought I'd get the extra bedding so I've got back up if the 2 grobags I've got get sicked on/peed on in the same night, or if baby is born weighing less than 7.5lb and is too small to use the sleeping bags straight away

I remember when my kiddies were babies, there were nights when I had to change the sheets twice a night!! I recommend getting plenty of sheets haha

Plenty of sheets as they normally end up with sick or other bodiley fluids on. Also I brought a load of blankets off ebay about £3.50 delievered and Im always using them if not at bed time then to go over her legs in the car seat.

I bought loads of flat sheets and blankets for the cot and the moses basket and then put her in a sleeping bag so haven't used any of them! I agree that you need loads of fitted sheets we often go through 3 or 4 a night!

Muppet Mummy - mothercare now do a sleeping bag for small babies that is suitable for 5lb up - I got one of these and my LO has just grown out of it at 9lbs.

I bought 2 fitted crib size sheets and my mum cut down a regular bed sheet into 8 small size sheets for me. That was plenty for the time George was in the crib (actually only lasted in there for about 5 weeks as he used to move about too much and hit the sides). For the cotbed I have 5 fitted sheets, which is more than enough, and 2 flat sheets.

George was in a sleep bag once he went into the cot bed. So now we only use a sheet over him when he's in his sleep bag.

Enjoy your shopping spree! :) I found Ebay a great help when I was in the last few weeks. :D

:hug:

i didnt use any sheets coz when melissa was tiny it was june and our bedroom was 26 degrees with the window open i was so paranoid about her over-heating i didnt put covers on her! just a sleepsuit :lol:

You shouldn't use the sleeping bags until baby is 10lbs so you will need to use blankets to start off with in the moses basket.

The waffle pattern ones (can't remember the proper name for them) are best as they're more breathable. If you fold them over, that counts as 2 layers. So bear that in mind.

It's baffling figuring out what to buy in terms of blankets. You have to think of what the weather may be like at the time of year you have baby too.

Ditto what others have said, plenty of sheets are a good idea because baby might be sick a lot as mine was. We even resorted to cotton pillow cases as sheets in emergencies.

For the cot bed I had 5 fitted sheets and we used the sleeping bags so didn't bother with flat sheets or anything else. We just made sure we used the appropriate tog sleeping bag for the weather/time of year.

Can't recommend the sleeping bags enough, they're fantastic.

lea m said:
I remember when my kiddies were babies, there were nights when I had to change the sheets twice a night!! I recommend getting plenty of sheets haha

was just speaking to mam about this thread and she offered a good tip.

even if you dont plan to use re-useable nappies, she advises getting some traditional terry nappies which can be placed in the moses basket/cot at head height, so that if there is pukey, you can change the terry nappy rather than the whole sheet.

suppose this would save on buying so much bedding??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back