Beanie's chicken thread - some more questions

I want an eglu, would prefer a cube but will see what I can afford. I also want three chickens, all ex battery as i want them to have a happy life. Females aren't particularly noisy, from what everyone has told me they are fine unless you get a cockrel. The cats will also be fine, chickens are big. The rabbit already bosses the cats around so they know their place (in fact I am more worried about the rabbit with the chickens then I am with the cats). I already have the rabbit to look after so another enclosure to clean, animals to feed etc won't be a big deal.

Trixi, I want them for their eggs (and I think they would be a great way to teach the girls about where food comes from and being responsible and respectful when choosing what food to eat). I am not opposed to keeping chickens for meat but tbh I think I am just happy to have fresh eggs.

Thats great. I love my chooks and they really are a hobby of mine and have been for years. A part of the family also and so tame some of them wander in the house, sun bathe on the door mat and one even perches on the arm of the sofa. She used to sleep on my feet under the desk when she was smaller.

If you've any questions feel free to drop me a PM. I've dealt with red mite outbreaks (red mite can suck the blood from a chook overnight) through to sour crop and an egg bound hen. Most things are treatable at home. Be aware very few vets actually know much about poultry so you should not be squeamish about treating them yourself or dispatching them if need be. You can pay a fortune having a poorly hen injected or treated when you could probably have cleared it up with a home remedy.

Depending on what you want them for I'd think carefully about getting rescue hens as your first chickens. I say this having taken in some in the past. They are often in a very poor state and can take a long time to look anything like 'normal', some never do. Beaks are often filed/cut down and bottoms are pecked etc. They also often end up having egg laying problems and in my experience they often die off quickly with some problem or other due to intensive egg laying and poor conditions before being rehomed.

They are not really what I consider suitable birds to take on if a total novice to poultry. They often need treating for all kinds of niggles and extra feeding and stuff to get back into condition. But if you want to take them on then great. Hopefully you can find some that are in not too bad a state.

I'd suggest getting pullets (female hens not yet laid an egg yet), anything from about 12 weeks or older. Depending on what you like look wise there are lots of breeds to choose from. Also that way your girls can handle them from small and the chooks will be tame to hand for them as they get older.

I personally like the Light Sussex for egg laying and meat. And good looking chooks to boot. Also love bantams and keep Polands, Pekins and Dutch bantams. Dutchies are gorgeous little things with great personalities but can fly. Pekins are round and fluffy looking and not really able to fly. Both breeds are very tame and friendly. Polands are high maintenance, I often have to blow dry the bouffant on mine :lol:

I've a chicken blog/website if you want to have a read and get some ideas. I've not posted to it in a while but there are lots of things there that will get you started.

http://www.whatthechook.net/

Stella the Poland

20080211-stella.jpg

Little Egg, the lavender frizzle Pekin bantam

20080211-littleegg.jpg

One of our Pekin chicks from 2007

pekin_bantams_black_07.jpg

thanks Sherlock - will add your blog to my favourites. I keep meaning to ask your advice on a completely non chicken matter too (home birth issues) but keep forgetting so I will be pestering you quite a bit in the next few months.

Oooh beanie, well done!

I'd love to keep chickens too, maybe next year (2010) I'll work up the courage to have more of a think about it and no tiny newborn to contend with too!

I'm very excited for you - make sure you keep us posted on your progress!

Valentine Xxx

i agree with sherlock on getting pullets..its quite difficult when you 1st go for your 1st birds.. pick a breed that is easy to sex would be my initial idea.. we have a bluebelle called dorothy, 2 cuckoo marans called baby and gizmo, 1 copper maran poppy and a a cream legbar juliette ( who lays blue eggs :) ) and out duck is called arthur.. hes more like a dog lol... he does nothing.. but hes to cute to part with..

if you go for cuckoo marans the males have a big white spot on top of their heads..there are quite a few breeds that you can sex from hatch..also.. if you get pullets they arnt as skatty and will get used to the girls and animals better..theres a few forums you could join.. and around spring there are always lots and lots of baby chicks going free or very cheep :rotfl: sorry.. if you want to google pekingbantams i have had loads and loads of help from there... like sherlock said the most common illnesses for poultry is red mite ( which are those tiny little blood sucker spiders we used to squash on the walls when we were kids) sour crop ( which frikking stinks) and egg bound.. which is the most difficult one and oftern results in death..

beanie said:
After a year of asking and whining about it, OH has agreed to me having chickens. I am so excited, have to read all about them, then save up to buy their new home but I am getting some this year. Am thinking of rescuing three ex battery ones, so me and the girls can have one each.

I know its a bit sad to get excited about chickens but I don't get out very often ;)

1. I SO thought you were TTC again then :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops:
2. I love chickens. I used to have 4 when I was little but then the fox ate them :cry:

I have some questions

1. Housing. I have decided that the best thing for the hens would be to have a walk in run and coop. I will let them free range as much as I can when I can supervise them but I just think with the rabbit, the girls and the fact there are a load of cats near us and whilst I know mine are too lazy to bother with chickens another cat might not be. Also the risk of foxes too. Does that sound ok? Iobviously don't want to be cruel. I would make sure the run would be bigger then what it needed to be ie 2 chickens in one recommended for 4 etc.

Leading on from that, I have looked at the eglu and it seems really small. http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_service ... the%20eglu

So I have looked at others and like some of the wooden ones I have seen such as this. I understan d that wooden houses are more difficult to clean re red mite but it just looks more spacey and nicer.Ideally I would love an eglu cube and walk in run but I am not going to be able to afford that.

2. Chickens. I have taken on board what you have said about ex batts and will probaly get some at a later date when I have had more experience. But the choice of chickens has baffled me. I obviously want eggs but I also want the girls to have pets, and everything I have read suggests that bantams would be better as they tame easier. I noticed you had a bantam Sherlock, what is your experience of this and what breed would you recommend??

Sorry about the questions but I am getting a bit bogged down

Will reply in full later for you :) Got hossie appointment in a bit so have to get ready to go out :)

Cant answer any questions but yaaaay chickens!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: I think they are lovely!

Can't help with your chicken questions but equally am very excited for you. I would love chickens (would consider some for eggs and meat also). We have an allotment about 2mins from the house but am realistic that we are not there every day (esp in the winter) so want to wait til we could have them at home.

I also have a really good deal with a neighbour at the moment where we swap freah veggies for eggs from her free range hens (yum!) Its the best of both worlds really where we get the most delicious fresh eggs without the commitment of having the livestock.

keep us updated :cheer: :D

beanie said:
I have some questions

1. Housing. I have decided that the best thing for the hens would be to have a walk in run and coop. I will let them free range as much as I can when I can supervise them but I just think with the rabbit, the girls and the fact there are a load of cats near us and whilst I know mine are too lazy to bother with chickens another cat might not be. Also the risk of foxes too. Does that sound ok? Iobviously don't want to be cruel. I would make sure the run would be bigger then what it needed to be ie 2 chickens in one recommended for 4 etc./

I only have wooden hen houses and arks. Eglus are overpriced and while ok for a couple of chooks, are not really what I consider decent housing. Yes they are easy to clean but so is a wooden hen house once you get into a routine with it each week.

What you are considering sounds great to me. It will cope with 4 full size hens no problem. Its what we do and then have a larger area around the house and run fenced off so they can range round that if we go out. When we are home I open that run and let them free range totally. Also hens do tend to like room in the hen house. Some of ours like to perch high, others lower and a couple in nest boxes. An Eglu does not give hens much choice.

The wire I would check if its weld mesh or chicken wire. Weld mesh is much stronger. Although you could always invest in a roll and put it on yourself.

beanie said:
I understan d that wooden houses are more difficult to clean re red mite but it just looks more spacey and nicer.Ideally I would love an eglu cube and walk in run but I am not going to be able to afford that.

I don't like felt on hen houses but see its now advised as a precaution against avian flu :? It can be a real pain to combat red mite etc as they hide in between the wood and felt and so you cannot kill them off so easily. However, saying that with the right care and management you can keep on top of things. I hve mine made to order and have wooden sloping roofs on mine. Mine are more ark like :)

beanie said:
2. Chickens. I have taken on board what you have said about ex batts and will probaly get some at a later date when I have had more experience. But the choice of chickens has baffled me. I obviously want eggs but I also want the girls to have pets, and everything I have read suggests that bantams would be better as they tame easier. I noticed you had a bantam Sherlock, what is your experience of this and what breed would you recommend??

I keep all bantams as my pets. Any large hens/cock birds are purely for meat.

For pets for children bantam wise I'd say Pekins are great. They are cuddly, very friendly and become very tame. They also, because of their fluffy feathers look bigger than non fluffy bantams, so are a bit more off putting to cats. They also cannot fly or get more than a foot or so off the ground. They can from a standing start get up to the top of my run (about 3.5 foot) but its not pretty to watch :lol: However, they are seasonal layers and only lay in spring and summer and can go broody. You'll only get 60-70 eggs a year from them and they will of course be smaller than normal eggs.

Also bantams like Light Sussex I like. Not too flighty, hardy birds. I am not sure but I think they lay a bit more than Pekins.

O and Dutch bantams, a true bantam breed. I have a pair, so hen and cock bird like these (but mine are nicer, the cockerel I have is stunning)

3182227311_91b2c1849a.jpg

However there are pretty much bantams in all breeds so its really a case of taking your pick and looking round.

This lady is a friend and breeder of numerous breeds and has some pics and info on her website. Have a look at some of the chooks on there and let me know what sort appeals and I shall give you a bit more info on them if I can.

http://www.brbpoultry.co.uk/index.html

For large hens again I like Light Sussex. They lay all year round (except the moult) and egg production is good. I also like Copper Marans (but harder to come by) and cuckoo ones and they are good egg layers also. I adore Brahmas as they are HUGE but so cuddly. However two of those would fill your hen house and run :lol:

I also like Wyandottes as their plumage is lovely to look at. They have a bantam of the breed also :) Plus the large hens are good egg layers.

If it were me, I'd have a mix. I'd get two large hens for egg laying, like 2 light sussex or Marans and then get 2-3 bantams, all of the same breed, like Pekins for pets for the girls. And little eggs come spring and summer :) Although be aware some breeds can go broody and you'll need to break them of this.

I'd try to get all young birds, pullets if possible, and get the bantams first and let them settle in and then get the larger hens once the smaller ones are settled.

Feel free to PM me if you've any questions :) I've loads of tips for red mite prevention etc and also in general care for chooks :)

We have had Pekin bantams, Ex Battery hens and ducks over the last few years so any questions just PM me.

Ex batts are suberb for pets, they are reliable for eggs and cheap to feed, they are an absolute joy to see them grow and blossom, some of ours are now enjoying thier 4th year of retirement and still laying!! I would expect to get 6 eggs a week per hen although we did get 8 eggs for one hen a week, no idea how. The Battery Hen Welfare Trust has loads of good info and is an excellent starting point. What better way to get hens that save a life of an ex batt?

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

Any questions about ex batts or any other poultry stuff just PM me. I'll add some pics of my ex batts tomorrow when i'm at home.

I love this thread, one day I want to breed aricuna(sp?) chooks, they lay blue eggs! Can't get egglu's here :cry:(all the more reason to return to the uk!) Beautiful chook photos thanks so much for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back