bathing

hev&madi

Reaction score
how long after birth can you bath your baby? also when can you start using shampoo etc???

hiya
They give the baby a quick bath straight away, then maybe later that day or the next day in hospital they should show you how to give a proper bath. (although they didn't do this when I had Mason.)

I still don't use shampoo on Brody, I use Johnsons "top to toe" for everything.

I suppose it depends on how much hair your baby has!

They didn't bathe Ella, just gave her to me smelling of meat with all the vernix and blood in her hair :puke: We bathed her the day after we came home (we came home same day as she was born). We did use a little bit of product on her, but soon stopped as Johnsons stuff seemed really harsh on her skin :)

They didn't bath Kayleigh either. I had her on the Monday morning, and I have photos taken in hospital on the Wednesday and she still had dried blood on her head.

When I questioned it, they said she was too tiny and wouldn't be very good at keeping her body heat - she was 6lb 7oz!!!! :shock:

cassi said:
they didnt bathe her!!!!! :shock:

No I think that the vernix is supposed to be good for babies skin so they left it all on her. She definately smelt a bit funky! :lol:

They really like you to get lots of skin time at my hospital so she was put straight onto my chest for a good hour or so :)

Yeah they gave Brody to me for a bit then bathed him after about an hour.
Sorry when I said straight away I didn't mean THAT soon LOL

I didnt bath Ellis till he was about 10 days old as I was waiting for his belly button to fall off as the midwifes suggest.

I did top and tail him when he was a few days old to get the blood off this head.

I still dont use any shampoo or body wash, I am not sure when i am meant to start, but will be asking health visitor.

Ellis had vernix on him too, its good for there skin, but it didnt smell??!! :?

xxxxx

Ella's smell was the blood I think? She smelt very meaty, I wasn't expecting it.

Sorry when I said straight away I didn't mean THAT soon LOL

Just me being thick lol, had images of him popping out and them scrubbing him off in the bath!! :lol:

Seren wasn't bathed til late afternoon the next day. After she had been cuddled by mummy and daddy they wiped her down but that was all. The vermix is very good for their skin and should ideally be left to sink in.

OH's first words about his daughter "she smells a bit beefy" :roll:

Lydia didn't have any vernix on her when she came out...she was ridiculously overdue though so that could be why.

They didn't bathe her in the hospital either. I bathed her when I got home the next day but she hated it so much so after that I just topped and tailed her for about a week before attempting another bath.

She did take to them eventually though lol.

Coby didnt get bathed either, we did it when we got home that night.

I wouldnt sugest johnsons tho, its to harsh for newborns, makes most babies come out in rashes and drys there skin up.

xxx

OH's first words about his daughter "she smells a bit beefy"

:rotfl: We both had butchers shop babies!!

Ella's first bath was a right nightmare! We didn't know what temp the water was supposed to be so were frantically flicking through the Miriam Stoppard book to find out any info. Well she reckons to put a couple of inches of water in the bath and it to be 36 degrees. By the time we'd faffed around, got it to the right temp and put her in these two piddly inches of water she screamed the place down as she was so cold! Bloody Miriam Stoppard and her shite advice :shakehead: Next time we filled it right up and it was a lot better :cheer:

Damien was bathed when he was about 4 days old, becauise he was prem they were scared he would lose all his body temperature. Very fiddly holding a tiny dot and trying to clean him! We mainly washed him with just a touch of baby bath ina baby tub twice a week a tad of johnsons shampoo (he had loads of hair) but not much as I don't like the idea of using products on a new baby's skin. Might have been less worried if he wwasn't preemie. We still only use shampoo and baby bath, nothing else. He doesn't really get messy yet, in a couple of months when he's crawling he will probably be scrubbed top to toe everey night in body scub :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back