Baking Business

Kezzamunster

Reaction score
Morning ladies :wave:

I hope everyone is well & enjoying their weekends

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not but I'm looking to start up my own baking business but I haven't got a clue where to start

Can anyone offer any advice or point me in the direction of someone who already has this kind of business

Thanks for reading

xxxx

ooooooh, this is something i've been thinking about too! hope you don't mind if I hijack and ask jennyfarful some questions? I would start off part time as I need to return to work so I don't have to pay back maternity pay but I figured that wouldn't be a bad thing as at least I would have an income whilst starting up! My question is roughly how many cakes do you bake per week - I'm sure it varies depending on season/ orders coming in etc but on average? I just wanted to get some idea of demand (you are in a different area to me so I know that might make a difference) and therefore what projected earnings might be once established. You're website looks great btw :)
Thanks!

Hey babybean :wave:

The more the merrier :yay: ask away my lovely :flower:

Sorry just replying to you Jen :hugs:

Your website is just fab by the way, when did you start your business up?

Ever since I moved out of home this knack for cooking & baking kinda appeared from no where, I've baked a few birthday cakes for friends, ill attach pics of what I have & also made a replica ford focus & the crystal palace eagle, all went down very well.

I'm always baking cakes & cookies & everyone has said I should make a business from it but really haven't gotta clue where to start tbh so not sure what to ask

xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308028108.908734.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308028108.908734.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308028157.175773.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308028157.175773.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308028208.908644.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308028208.908644.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 10
Awwwww thanks hun :hugs:

I could spend all day baking, the OH is always being made things to take into work, yesterday they had cookies in 6 different flavours, chocolate & hazelnut, coconut, ginger & cinnamon, vanilla, lemon & coffee

Considering there was 12 of each cookie.....they've all been munched away.....NOM NOM NOM NOM :lol:

xxx

I make stuff for my oh's work too, got given requests yesterday lol! Cheeky lot! hope they still want stuff if I start charging :lol: I really want to do this but can't set it up at my flat as the kitchen is tiny and I've got a cat and dog that have to go through my kitchen to get into the garden so not convinced environmental health would pass it! I'm working up the courage to ask my parents if I can rent their kitchen for a percentage of the profits until we can move somewhere bigger! They only live round the corner and we're always there anyway so here's hoping! If not my dream will just have to be put on hold for a while!

ooooooh, this is something i've been thinking about too! hope you don't mind if I hijack and ask jennyfarful some questions? I would start off part time as I need to return to work so I don't have to pay back maternity pay but I figured that wouldn't be a bad thing as at least I would have an income whilst starting up! My question is roughly how many cakes do you bake per week - I'm sure it varies depending on season/ orders coming in etc but on average? I just wanted to get some idea of demand (you are in a different area to me so I know that might make a difference) and therefore what projected earnings might be once established. You're website looks great btw :)
Thanks!

Hi babybean,

We've been going since January 2010, we did loads of bits to start with; Farmers Markets, stalls etc but we found that our outgoings were becoming much greater than the actual profit, so we knocked this on the head after about 6 months. Now alot of our orders are generated from our FB page, word of mouth, recommendation etc but obv this all takes time to build - we've been doing weddings for about a year now and this is largely where the money is (we're doing a wedding this weekend and it's worth about £380).

Per week, it considerably varies. We mainly make Cupcakes, gift boxes for birthdays, Christenings, Weddings etc the spring/summer is v.busy and there is also demand around Mothers Day, Valentines Day etc but the winter does tend to be quite quiet. Earnings also vary from month to month, some months we make less than £100, other months we can make £500 - it really does depend. Last year when we submitted our tax return, I actually got back a £600 rebate because of how much we had spent out, but I think that is normal as they say a new business can't expect to make much profit in the first 12 months.

Let me know if you need any more info x

Hey babybean :wave:

The more the merrier :yay: ask away my lovely :flower:

Sorry just replying to you Jen :hugs:

Your website is just fab by the way, when did you start your business up?

Ever since I moved out of home this knack for cooking & baking kinda appeared from no where, I've baked a few birthday cakes for friends, ill attach pics of what I have & also made a replica ford focus & the crystal palace eagle, all went down very well.

I'm always baking cakes & cookies & everyone has said I should make a business from it but really haven't gotta clue where to start tbh so not sure what to ask

xxx

Kezza, these cakes are fab! IMO I reckon you could charge £40-50 for these x

Awwwww thanks Jen :flower:

I'm defo gonna look more into this, it's something I absolutely love doing so why not try & make a few pennies

xxx

Hi ladies thought Id chip in thats ok....I also make celebration cakes as well as a few other crafts Im addicted too lol!

Heres my link to my Fb page and some pics of a few of the cakes Ive made......I made Helen123's daughters birthday cake last year then was asked to do a few others on here too ;-) http://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/#!/pages/Kilvingtons-Krafts/229023465943!

(I make celebration cakes, hand crafted jewellery, hand made wedding stationary/greetings cards and keep sakes)

I closed my website and ebay shop down last year as my illness controls how much I can do and I fell behind on wedding stationary orders, flogged myself to death to finish them in time and had a massive relapse so husband pretty much put his foot down so I just do them as a hobby now but still love doing it all and will open my website again once Matilda is a bit older but maybe just on a part time basis!

Part of my website was to send muffins and cookies gift boxes through the post with messages attatched.....a bit like moonpig.com but the recipient got an edible gift with their card :)!

Ive always cooked and baked and love baking for others!

As far as doing it on a bigger scale, I started off doing sports days at schools, then summer fairs, then moved onto craft fairs, farmers markets and after doing one particular high end craft fair was commissioned by an 'up and coming' at the time online magazine as their cake lady and I supplied all the cakes, muffins, cupcakes etc to all their corporate events!

Its really rewarding being able to do something that we love isnt it.....

Id say go for it if its what you really want to do...the paperwork side of things is a pain but just hire and accountant its a lot easier lol.....

Love both the websites ladies and the cakes look yummy!

Its Matildas Christening on Sunday so will post pics of her cake after the even and Im also doing an engagement cake the week after so will have some new pics to post.....I absolutely love anything crafting and baking/cooking so love this thread xxx

Thanks!

Hi babybean,

We've been going since January 2010, we did loads of bits to start with; Farmers Markets, stalls etc but we found that our outgoings were becoming much greater than the actual profit, so we knocked this on the head after about 6 months. Now alot of our orders are generated from our FB page, word of mouth, recommendation etc but obv this all takes time to build - we've been doing weddings for about a year now and this is largely where the money is (we're doing a wedding this weekend and it's worth about £380).

Per week, it considerably varies. We mainly make Cupcakes, gift boxes for birthdays, Christenings, Weddings etc the spring/summer is v.busy and there is also demand around Mothers Day, Valentines Day etc but the winter does tend to be quite quiet. Earnings also vary from month to month, some months we make less than £100, other months we can make £500 - it really does depend. Last year when we submitted our tax return, I actually got back a £600 rebate because of how much we had spent out, but I think that is normal as they say a new business can't expect to make much profit in the first 12 months.

Let me know if you need any more info x

:thanks:
Thank you hun! I'm going to do some more research but will let you know if I have any more questions :)

Hi ladies thought Id chip in thats ok....I also make celebration cakes as well as a few other crafts Im addicted too lol!

Heres my link to my Fb page and some pics of a few of the cakes Ive made......I made Helen123's daughters birthday cake last year then was asked to do a few others on here too ;-) http://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/#!/pages/Kilvingtons-Krafts/229023465943!

(I make celebration cakes, hand crafted jewellery, hand made wedding stationary/greetings cards and keep sakes)

I closed my website and ebay shop down last year as my illness controls how much I can do and I fell behind on wedding stationary orders, flogged myself to death to finish them in time and had a massive relapse so husband pretty much put his foot down so I just do them as a hobby now but still love doing it all and will open my website again once Matilda is a bit older but maybe just on a part time basis!

Part of my website was to send muffins and cookies gift boxes through the post with messages attatched.....a bit like moonpig.com but the recipient got an edible gift with their card :)!

Ive always cooked and baked and love baking for others!

As far as doing it on a bigger scale, I started off doing sports days at schools, then summer fairs, then moved onto craft fairs, farmers markets and after doing one particular high end craft fair was commissioned by an 'up and coming' at the time online magazine as their cake lady and I supplied all the cakes, muffins, cupcakes etc to all their corporate events!

Its really rewarding being able to do something that we love isnt it.....

Id say go for it if its what you really want to do...the paperwork side of things is a pain but just hire and accountant its a lot easier lol.....

Love both the websites ladies and the cakes look yummy!

Its Matildas Christening on Sunday so will post pics of her cake after the even and Im also doing an engagement cake the week after so will have some new pics to post.....I absolutely love anything crafting and baking/cooking so love this thread xxx

Loving the willy cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha thanks BB....yes thats been a popularly requested cake since I did the first willy one lol ha ha xxx

Last edited:
You girls are all so talented :O
And you've also made me extremely hungry for cake and cookies right now so thanks! :p xxx

Hey Wilma :wave:

Thanks for posting, I'm defo gonna getting browsing at your cakes & can't wait to see new piccies to

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back