Bad teeth..

KateQPR

Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble with their teeth and gums?

My gums have started bleeding this week, and feel a bit sore (which i think is common). But i'm also worried i've got an infection where i need root canal, but have stupidly been avoiding (i was due to get it sorted months ago but it was when i was really feeling sick so cancelled it).

Anyone else had an infection during pregnancy? I'm going to try to find an NHS dentist tomorrow, but where i live they never seem to take on anyone new. I was seeing a great private dentist, but it's so expensive and i'm not able to work at the moment so worried about the cost...

I feel like i'm falling apart!!!!

don't bother too much. usually gums are a bit more sensetive in pregnancy and bleed often. but i think it isn't anything serious but if you are worried it's better to see a dentist to make sure it isn't an infection.
My gums were bleeding and i never went to a dentist so not sure if i had an infection or not. infact i still haven't seen a dentist and my teeth are miserable :rotfl:

I'm just discussing this with the OH. I naively thought that everyone was entitled to NHS dental treatment. We have to travel a couple of miles to our dentist, but that was through choice as the guy is quite good. The only thing I could suggest is trying a dental hospital if you're worried about cost.

i have noticed that my teeth and gums look a lot worse than usual. I still feel sickly a bit so I'm putting off the visit till I know I won't barf on the poor dentist.

Hope you manage to get sorted xx

I have seen my dentist for a check up recently and she put on my notes pregnancy gingivitis......my teeth bleed all the times, when eating, when sleeping etc and are extremely sensitive, so all normal, and very common in pregnancy.

We see an amazing private dentist (has the most gentle touch) and pay a small monthly fee which gives us huge discounts off treatments and 2 free check ups/cleans a year, which makes the cost more manageable.

Do you not get free dental treatment until sprog is a year old? Or is that a scottish thing?

Kim x x

Yeah, I think you're entitled to free treatment while you're pregnant right up until baby is 1.

Free NHS treatment only I think. Our nearest NHS dentist is 25 miles away :shock: so last year OH and myself set up Denplan where we pay about £10 each a month and see a private dentist for check up and clean every six months and it covers for fillings and bits and bobs too.

I'm trying to work out whether to cancel Denplan now and trek across to an NHS dentist (if they'll take me!) for the next 18 months - saving £180. But then our dentists is very nice.

I've always been prone to swollen gums when I get run down, but they're just permanently swollen and sore at the moment :( I just try and use anti-bac mouthwash a couple of times a day to help prevent infection.

Oh i am so glad it's not just me that is having trouble with my teeth and gums.Mine are constantly sensitive,i did get it last pregnancy but i can't remember getting it this soon.I'm at the dentist next month but i know there is nothing they can do,or can they?

Do take as much care of your teeth and gums as you can when PG. Mine were bad from 2nd tri onwards and I had check ups with my dentist about it. She told me to use Corsodyl mouthwash. Worked really well. Just not to use it for extended periods of time. I used mine for a few weeks then had a week off, that sort of thing.

Dentist also told me that often if women don't get on top of their gum/teeth problems developed in pregnancy that it is often a downward slope after baby is born because long term damage is already done. So take as much care as possible. Although the problems usually go away once baby is born in some women they end up with decay and problems etc that could have been avoided with better care when PG.

Also raspberry leaf tea (from 32 weeks onwards) is good for helping this sort of thing.

I have bleeding gums more than usual now too. I had some bleeding problems a while back, got prescribed corsodyl mouthwash and flossing more, then it cleared up but as soon as i was preggers it came back with avengance!

I go to the dentist every six months who always gives me a good scrape and clean (arma clenching at the time but you feel good after!) and i still needed to go to the hygienist for a closer look at the gums.

Bad gums is actually a concern in pregnancy, certainly not to be ignored, it's not nothig to worry about. My hygienist and dentist said you are much more prone to problems in pregnancy but it can also affect your pregnancy if it gets very bad and no actions are taken to improve the situation i.e. start flossing every day, which i am rubbish at doing (forget and when i do do it, it makes me gag!!), Using Corsodyl mouthwash, although my hygienist said this is quite strong and don't use too much in pregnancy (however they have started selling a more everyday mouthwash too which is better for everyday use) but she said if you religiously floss you dont need mouthwash (i'm still only doing every 4 or 5 days even with my telling off, :oops: )

See this link for more info http://www.babycenter.com/0_bleeding-gu ... ncy_217.bc

You can get free dental care while pregnant and +1 year only at NHS dentists, if you are not registered at one already, good luck as it's a problem everywhere with no space on their lists. I am with a private dentist, as you say pretty pricey. But it's worth looking after your teeth and gums more now than usual to look after bubba aswell.

Thank god i'm not the only one!

yeah i know it's free NHS, but all the dentists near me don't seem to be taking anyone new on...

So i'm going to have an appointment with my local private dentists and just check it's not a serious infection - hopefully something i can just manage by being scrupulously clean without having to have root canal or a tooth out (i would so gag if i had to keep my mouth open - that's part of the problem. Brushing my teeth still makes be gag so i guess i'm pretty crap at it at the moment. Lesson learnt though!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back