Baby sun cream...?!?

fairypants

Reaction score
I's driving me nuts. I know everyone and everything tells us as new parents we shouldn't br using any kind of products on a newborn under 6 weeks...well b*ll*rks to that!! In desperation I ended up using wipes for a nappy change at 2 weeks & 3 days and she's fine, if anything her skin is much better for it!! Been using wipes to wipe her down in tis heat too, as she's been more sicky and my poor little miss ends up all sticky cos she's just laying around in a nappy!! The wipes are really helping with her dry flakey skin though.

My dilemma is that with this stupidly hot sunny weather, not wanting to over dress her so she doesn't over heat and can't stay locked up indoors 24/7, is there a baby sun cream suitable for babies under 6 months out there anywhere?! I've been everywhere and not found 1 yet, but we're going away soon & I'm really worried cos I don't want her to burn or over heat but don't know what to do!! We are staying in England, but if this carries on we're really going to struggle!!

Help!!!

Personally I wouldn't (and didn't) use any suncreams on babies under 6 months. The chemicals in the suncream are more concentrated on their little bodies. I know lots of people who have used them, though, and their little ones are absolutely fine. So I guess it is a personal decision. I would just try to keep little one in the shade and out of the sun as much as is possible. X

gosh i didnt realise you couldnt use under 6 months?! so glad i read this... i bought factor 50 baby nivea ..... just read and it says do not use under 3months old!! gosh thats a lucky escape! x

You don't need to keep baby inside all the time just best to limit trips and not be out at the hottest part of day and when you are out keep baby in the shade - invest in a parasol rather than suncream!

I use suncream on F if he is going to be in the sun, I use banana boat baby SPF 50, it doesn't say anything about not using it under 6 months. He has been fine x

I just keep Harry in the shade anyway - don't really want to be putting sun cream on him as there's lots of chemicals unless I have to xxx

Have you thought about Investing in a snooze shade? Much better than a parasol as they're completely shaded & can also see out.
Don't think I'd be using sun cream on a baby so little x

I live in a hot climate and used sudocrem sun cream on Toby when he was 5 months old as its designed for infants. Xx

Well with a bunch of differrnt opinions and suggestions I've invested in some Johnsons baby factor 50 sun cresm and when I do use it, I'll be making sure she has a bath at the end of the day. Having spoken to midwives and pharmacists, thry bith agree this would be fine and as she's suffering with very VERY dry skin which is causing splits in her creases, so a little extra moisture won't hurt anyway. I have a parasol but I find it damn useless to be honest! Apart from constantly stopping to adjust it, especially when you chsnge direction, there is just no way it keeps evry last bit of her out the sun all the time. If they were cheaprr I'd invest in thr complete pram/pudhchair cover, but we just cannot afford it at the moment!!

Thanks eveyone!

We got something like a snooze shade. Sure we paid maybe 15quid for it on eBay. It was great for the holiday.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I've just bought a boots soltan baby 50+ today - they are half price down to £4.15I also bought a Nivia kids 50+ aswell ... Going to take them both on holiday and see which one is better on his skin. He will be 16 weeks when we go

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back