Baby Movements

First Baby White

Reaction score
At 23 weeks how often should I be feeling baby move? Some days he moves loads like on a day I am at work but other days I only have feel him 2 or 3 times, normally at weekends when I am more aware of him??

I know he is ok as his heartbeat is the same as normal on my doppler but I just read alot of people ring midwifes when they have reduced movement and I was wondering whether I should be more concerned as I would feel daft ringing the midwife if this is sopmething normal. It is not just this weekend it has happened it is most weekends??

My LO was the other way round, would feel baby loads at weekends but not much during the week whilst I was at work.

I think everyone is different though. There are some guidelines that say you should feel your baby move 10 times over a 12 hour period.

Just found this which might help http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/babysmovements/#20

Sometimes baby's position means that you cant feel much movement, for example when baby's back is facing outwards so they are kicking inwards, you wouldn't normally be able to feel those kind of movements because you have no nerve endings on the inside like you do on your bump.

I know it is worrying and I would call your Midwife and get things checked out if it continues. I did this and it really put my mind at ease to know everything was ok.

I'd not worry overly at this point. Babies go through a big growth spurt from around 22-30 weeks so often go quiet for periods of time. I remember Bump being quiet for a few days at a time with only small short bursts of movement. But all was well. At 24 weeks my tummy literally popped out overnight then as baby was growing lots :)

Also they can still move around a lot so might simply be facing the wrong way and pummelling the placenta and so on which you won't feel.

Also being still can often mean LO is more active. Movement tends to lull babies into sleep. I find I can walk for ages or be doing stuff round the house and LO is quiet as anything, I stop and sit down here at the computer or on the sofa in the evening or in bed and I get kicked and wriggled to pieces.

I didn't start doing the 10 movements thing till I was past 30 weeks. This was on MW's advice then. Before I'd not worried about it. I also know my placenta is at the back and higher up so absorbs a lot of activity from my LO. I was told my placenta position at my 20 week scan. Check your notes and see if they recorded where yours is if you are unsure.

If you are really worried then call your MW and talk to her about it :)

I think if your baby is moving in a "pattern" then I wouldn't worry, but if you aren't certain then by all means ring your midwife, that's what they are there for - to reassure you if you need it.

I'm the same, some days I feel her constantly, other days just a few times. My LO was quiet all week last week so I mentioned it to the midwife on thursday. She said that at this stage she wouldnt ask me to count kicks or anything because I'm not feeling every movement yet due to baby not being big/strong enough yet. She didn't seem concerned at all and told me not to worry, as long as I feel the odd kick theres nothing to be concerned about.

I think its okay to not feel them at much at this stage, but if you're worried then you can always check with your midwife :) :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back