BABY FLUMP HERE !!!!!! CONGRATS DEBS AND MATT !

debs is feeling good but weird as she;s going through the i can still feel him kick stage lol did it on gas and air ! which made her 2 am text very might i add :rotfl:

Congratulations, and welcome to the world Luke :hug:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Knew it was a boy!!

HUUUUGE congrats and loads of love to you all Debbie, Matt and Luke (How cute does that sound together??!!)

I'm back home, alone. :(

What a crazy few days it's been. I'll work on a longer version of the birth story, but here is the short version.

Sunday 9th March 2:00am - 9:00am Debbie has some very mild and irregular contractions every 10 - 25 mins. I start feeling feverish but do a 5k charity race.

Monday 10th March (Our EDD). I'm feeling very sorry for myself and start dosing up on paracetamol. I have a bunged up head, sore throat and shaking/feverishiness.

Tuesday 11th March. 2:00am The contractions are back. They're fairly mild (by what we know now...) but they are strong enough to need the help from the TENS machine (GREAT purchase..). The stop at 8:00am but start up again at 11:00am and continue throughout the day at around 8-20 minute intervals. This carries on into Wednesday. We get little sleep.

Wednesday 12th March. 1.00am. The contractions are getting strong enough to give Debbie pain. We ring the mat unit and are told to come in. We arrive around 2:00am. We are examined and told we're not in labour, yet.. The cervix is still very high and very much tightly closed. We're both shocked. Over 24hrs of painful contractions and nothing has even started! I've been taking pain-killers all day to keep going.
We get home from the mat unit around 3:00am and try to get some sleep. Debbie is rocked awake every 8 minutes by contractions.
I awake in bed at around 10:00am. Debbie wakes up with a painful contraction and tries to get out of bed. I tell her that I need to use the loo, she asks me to wait. I wait a bit then decide that I'll use the loo downstairs. I get to the top of the stairs and pass out, hitting my shoulder and head on the door frame. Debbie screams, panic ensues and I bob in and out of concsiousness for 5 minutes barely aware that I'm talking to ambulence control on the phone. They arrive shortly after a check me over.
We then decide to go to the local NHS walk in centre for a more thorough check where I get another light headed spell and almost pass out again. All the time Debbie is being hit with painful contractions every 7-10 mins.
We try and get on with the day. Debbie sends me to bed. She eventually comes up and we start watching TV. The contractions are coming on strong but we still don't know if we should try the mat unit again. She gets a big contractions and her waters go (so we think). She strips off in the bathroom and her bottoms are soaked through.
9:30pm: I tell Debbie to ring the mat unit to tell them about the waters and that the contractions are definitely getting stronger. I would ring, but I can barely speak. She rings and they stop her mid sentence. "I'm sorry to stop you but we're full and closed to new admissions, you'll have to phone Hitchingbrookes, bye!" That's 30 miles away. A 40 minute drive. We ring them and they're very nice and tell us to come in.
Debbie doesn't want me driving so we wait for her sister to come and get us.
10:20pm. We're outside our back gate in the cold wind with our bags waiting. Debbie is having very painful contractions around 4-5 minutes apart. I start panicing that we'll not make it. I ring our mat unit again and beg them to take us. She tells me they simply can't. I say that I really don't think we'll make it. She says that we probably will being first-timers and to call 999 if we think we can't make it!
11:00pm. We make it to the hospital. Debbie is having contractions every 2-3 mins on the way and is in constant agony.
11:20pm. We are shown into Delivery Room 2 and told someone would see us shortly. The contractions are still coming. A midwife tells us that they're not sure that we're in established labours and as the waters may have gone, they don't want to do an internal and risk infection. They're not sure whether they're going to send us home or not. We plead that they don't.
We're told to try and walk around and see if we can get the contractions to be more regular and established. We do but Debbie can't go far. We go back when she feels moisture between her legs. She is stopping every minute with a contraction.
12:30am She gets to the en-suite toilet (very nice Hospital) and there's a lot of blood. I hit the emergency button and a midwife (called Debbie) comes in and uses a speculum to examine her. Yes the waters have gone, yes the head is very low and she's 6cm dilated.
Debbie cracks open the gas and air while she's given an injection.
1:00am - 3:00am. The gas and air works well and the contractions come in waves. We're checked now and again but left to progress. They eventually decide to monitor the heartbeat as it's dropping hard with each big contraction which they think may be the cord around the neck. We monitor for a 10 mins but the pads keep slipping. Debbie (MW) gets Debbie (my OH) to lay on her side. The pads are adjusted and Debbie gets a huge contraction and an urge to push. The MW tells Debbie to 'go with it' from now on and to put down the gas and air and push into her bum with each contraction.
I am on one side of the bed and the MW the other. I am placed at hip level so I can see what's going on. I encourage Debbie to push hard and tell her I can see part of the head coming through. It takes about 6 good contractions to get the head 'crowned'. We pause to allow Debbie to stretch. The next contraction has the whole head pop out. Our baby is turned to me and is trying to breath. Out floods a load of meconium.
3:53am: The next push has all of Luke out. The cord is tight around his neck. The MW quickly cuts it quickly before paging a paeds doctor to come and check Luke out. He seems fine, quietly crying and breathing. He is put onto Debbie for a moment before the doctor arrives to check him over. In the rush we didn't see what sex he was, so the MW spreads his legs and I shout: "It's a boy!!". He's rubbed down and declared fine and returned to Debbie.

Our beautiful little baby has finally made it into the world!

He's much smaller than we imagined him to be although he is long. He weighs in at 6lb 11oz.

lukemecham_sm.jpg

awwwww..........what a story, i am so glad he is here and you are all ok.xxx

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Luke is such a cutie :angel:
well done Debbie and well done Matt :dance: :dance:
hope our feeling better now too Matt

sarah :hug: :wave:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Sounds a little traumatic but i'm glad you're all well and good now :)
Luke is beautiful! So gorgeous!
Hope you're feeling a bit better Matt!

Love to Debbie and you all!!

xxxxx :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
can't wait for more pics!

I'm kind of glad we ended up at this other hospital. It's so much nicer and the staff are very friendly.

Watching him being born was just amazing. I did as much as I was allowed but there wasn't much to do really. Debbie was fantastic and kept going even though she hadn't had any sleep for over 2 days. She was brilliant.

Our midwife was fantastic too. She was calling me 'midwife matt' by the end of the labour. I was so into encouraging Debbie to push that she stopped doing so herself. :rotfl:

BabyBee said:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Sounds a little traumatic but i'm glad you're all well and good now :)
Luke is beautiful! So gorgeous!
Hope you're feeling a bit better Matt!

Love to Debbie and you all!!

xxxxx :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
can't wait for more pics!

I have loads of pictures on our camera, that was taken on my phone. I also have some camcorder footage of him just after he was born and of Debbie high on gas and air. At one point she was pleading with me to allow her to ring Gemma. I said it would be something she may regret the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back