Baby carriers

Nadgos

Reaction score
Hi - does anyone know of any decent baby carriers?

I have a four year old, a 20 month old and am 25 wks preggy with my third child. Each time I have tried to use baby carriers, first time was a snugly and it seemed to suffocate my baby as he was only 6 and half pounds. Second baby I researched and bought a Wilkinet but didn't get on with it as was too fiddly to tie myself into each time, and also wasn't practical as you couldn't got to the loo etc very easily with it on!
This time I am tempted by the natural baby sling types but it's an absolute lottery knowing which one to get (and they don't come cheap - between £30 and £50. Does anyone have any previous experience or recommendations?
Bascially it's got to be very simple to put on, comfortable for the baby and also as I have struggled with bad backs through all my pregnancies - it needs to spread the weight evenly across my shoulders - ie, not a diagonal sling?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I want to use a baby carrier too, so I'll be watching the replies here.

I bought a bjorn one because it had never been used and was £5 instead of £60 so I figured it was worth the risk, but like you I really want a sling job!

I've been looking on ebay and having a sniff round the feedback different makers get - I think 'freedom slings' (I think that's what they're called) sounds quite good. I might ask my midwife as well.

That's not a bad idea. I have researched the internet extensively but of course until you try something like this on and try to tie it yourself you don't know if you will get on with it!

I did find a sling which was basically two pieces of fabric which you put on over each shoulder - so no tying involved - it seemed very simple and you could feed the baby easily whilst wearing it. Unfortunately due to being a total preggy head - can't remember what it was called!!!! It was also a astonishing £50 for two bits of fabric!

The tie ones I have found that look good are Kari me and Hugubub slings.

i have to say, i hate them. about two years ago i was in town and seen a mum with a tiny baby in a sling in front of her, she tripped and fell right on the baby, i remember feeling sick watching her go dwn in slow motion. Since then, everytime i see a mum with one the same sickness washes over me. i just do not think they protect the baby if you were to fall. i am one of the clumsiest people on earth always falling over my own feet sop theres no way i could have one.

i have a ring sling for the new baby, my OH wont use a pushchair. its the same as that red one used by that guy in the link but mine is a bara barn one.

i love slings, i dont like the type u get in mthercare or toys r us, there so uncomfrtable, mei tais are also lovely

I have a babyhawk www.babyhawk.com which is fab. It is soo comfy as the weight of babba ia spread evenly across your shoulders. They are a bit pricey compared to some other mei tais but well worth it, the shoulder straps are really padded unlike some others meaning it doesn't cut in.

The worst thing about them is having to choose the design you want, there are so many cool ones it took me about 2 weeks!

I got a Tomy freestyle click and go, and charotte hated it at first (she wastoo small i think) but she was fine in it from about 6 weeks. It needs to be really well fitted though to not hurt my back - the first time I wore it I felt like she was hanging around my neck. not cheap though - £50 - and it isn't that easy to get on and off.

I have just however made a pouch sling from a pattern another Mum gave me. I have never followed a pattern before, but have made simple curtains and things, and this was dead easy to amke, and it feels really comfortable as it is made to measure. I paid £10 for 2 meters of polar fleece material, and this made a sling each for both me and my husband. I haven't worn it for any lenght of time, but so far so good. I have attached the link below.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back