• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

baby books???

Foxxi

Reaction score
Any of you swear by a certain baby book.. for simple step by step stuff??

This is my first baby and i'm starting to worry a bit.... i've never changed a nappy..and never made-up a bottle before... and im a bit apprehensive that when this baby does get here..im not gonna have a clue what to do with it!!! :?

sorry, dont know of any good baby books.
having said that, the birth to 5 book i got free from the nhs shortly after was good!
the midwife at the hosp was great with me, she showed me how to do everything i needed to know, then let me have a go while she was watching. if there is anything you need a hand with just ask! They will be happy to help.

I had never done any of that stuff before my daughter was born either.

I read loads of baby books and got the basic gist of things, but really it's not as hard as it sounds.

Making up bottles....you just follow what it says on the tin of formula!
Sterilising....you just follow the instructions that come with the sterilising set.
Nappy changing (for disposables)....remember that tabs go to the back and that's pretty much it.

You change them when they're smelly or if the nappy is feeling padded.
You feed them when they're hungry (dunno if the same is true for all babies, but my daughter used to suck her fist when she started getting hungry).

Erm....yeh....it sorta comes naturally. Course it's a learning process but it gets easier.

i had that contented baby book by gina ford and Jam hated everythin she said to do so i did the opposite and he was fine lol :lol: :lol:

Thanx ladies for the links and advice..... im gonna go on play.com to order some now!!

i've got what to expect in the first year and it is our bible has everything we need to know at the right stage.

rusks said:
i've got what to expect in the first year and it is our bible has everything we need to know at the right stage.

Thats the one iv just ordered recommended by maybebaby.. but known me..i'l probably buy some more! :)

I've got the rought guide to parenting guide..i like it because it isn't to dry and informative but not perscriptive

I was s**ting myself, I knew NOTHING, but I was amazed how you just know what to do. The midwives were fab, and I got all the support I needed from my gals here at the forum to be honest :lol:

I did get OH some books tho, The Blokes Guide to pregnancy when I was PG and From Lad to Dad-a guide from new born to 1 year olds, both from Amazon, he loved them both and found them dead usefull....

Rubys mummy said:
I was s**ting myself, I knew NOTHING, but I was amazed how you just know what to do. The midwives were fab, and I got all the support I needed from my gals here at the forum to be honest :lol:

I did get OH some books tho, The Blokes Guide to pregnancy when I was PG and From Lad to Dad-a guide from new born to 1 year olds, both from Amazon, he loved them both and found them dead usefull....

Im s**tting myself too!! I bought hubby the lad to dad book... im doing him a surprise baby basket and am gonna give him it just before baby is born.. and have put it in there for him! For me i just ordered what to expect in first year book!

I know I will ask a lot of questions on here if i get stuck... like where do i put the nappy?? the head or the butt end !! :D

Neither of us have any babies in the family... my sister had a baby.. but that baby is 17 years old now! so iv had no contact with them at all!! :?

Xena said:
I had never done any of that stuff before my daughter was born either.

I read loads of baby books and got the basic gist of things, but really it's not as hard as it sounds.

Making up bottles....you just follow what it says on the tin of formula!
Sterilising....you just follow the instructions that come with the sterilising set.
Nappy changing (for disposables)....remember that tabs go to the back and that's pretty much it.

You change them when they're smelly or if the nappy is feeling padded.
You feed them when they're hungry (dunno if the same is true for all babies, but my daughter used to suck her fist when she started getting hungry).

Erm....yeh....it sorta comes naturally. Course it's a learning process but it gets easier.
Ill second this, it comes natural
really, i had never done it before but as soon as hope was born it just clicked

Don't worry hun we've most of us been there! I remember the first day Elliott was in the world and one of the midwives in the hospital showed me how to bath him and I remember telling her that it was the first time I'd even held a baby which was true! I think that before having a baby I had spent the grand total of three hours with a baby (or a child under the age of about 5!) in my whole life and that was at a christening when I was 10!!

I spent the last few weeks of pregnancy reading all the books I could (which all contradicted each other and made me freak out!) then the first few weeks he was here asking everyone for advice (they all contradicted each other too and made me feel all confused) and then I realised that I had strong feelings about some things and most of it did come naturally when I just stopped and listened to myself so I then stopped reading and did my own things just following advice here and there and mostly from the lovely ladies on here who were going through EXACTLY the same at the same time and weren't remembering it through a mist of time etc.

You'll be fine- listen to yourself because it's all there in your instincts if you let it come out :)

My mum's advice was the best, she said that babies aren't aliens even if they might seem like it at first and that if you don't know what to do with them just imagine yourself as them and you'll get it right because they are just super-dependant little people.
+++

Thanx ladies.... im feelin better now.... can always rely on you lot!! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back