At what age do you stop with breast/Formula feeds?

Zodiac

Reaction score
My LO is just coming up to a year old. He's been exclusively breastfed & is currently on 2 per day (morning & before bed).

The thing is he doesn't like to drink ANY milk from his cup. He'll have a couple of sips, but won't glug it back like he does his water.

I was thinking about dropping his morning breastfeed soon - but will he be getting enough from just one feed being as he doesn't drink any through the day?

And when do you phase out breast/formula milk altogether & just give cows milk? At what age is it mearly a 'drink' rather than for sustenance?

Thanks in advance! :?

Up to a year milk is a main source of food... After that milk will remain important in their diet until their bones stop growing. More so for girls than boys and mostly during puberty as certain hormones can produce a reduction in bone density.

Studies have shown that calcium deficiency is a cause of late puberty, irregular and painful cramping during menstruation with excessive blood loss, and lowered immune response to infections in young girls. This could be from a deficient diet or lack of vitamin D from too little sun exposure. This lack of calcium could predispose them to osteoporosis later in life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puberty

So for girls its very important.

But as from a year cows milk can be substituted as by then most of their nutrition should be coming from their diet. However, if you feel that you have a picky eater or your LO doesn't eat much, maybe keep them on a vitimin enriched milk or follow on milk or even better breast milk :)

Personally I'll be mixing cows milk (when at work) with boob juice (when boob is home) to feed lil miss :) But she doesn't really drink cows milk unless its ice cold. :D

A great thread, saved me from posting in a few months time.

Great advice Squiglet :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back