At my wits end

knopk@

Reaction score
He has been feeding since 12:30 , I am shattered and he doesn't seem to have had enough. I don't think I have enough supply. Really tempted to top up with formula just to get some sleep

How old is he? If he's been feeding for over two hours he's comfort sucking. The day Isla found her fingers was a blessing! Xxx

He is 8 days old. He does like comfort sucking but wouldn't take a dummy

Hmmm, will he suck on your knuckle? I've had to do that whilst in the car, at ten days old they have a growth spurt and do feed alot more, but not for over an hour. If it is a growth spurt, feed as often as he wants, and your boobs will catch up over the next 24 hours. Unfortunately they have these spurts regularly. Never doubt yourself, you have more than enough milk for him. Drink more water, eat flapjacks and porridge and make sure you rest. That way your milk will be at its best/most.

There are loads of long term BFers on here so don't think you are alone in how you are feeling xx

Oscar was constantly attached to me at that age

We coslept with him from two weeks old and feeding him in bed laying on side is so much easier during the night coz you just drift off to sleep again.

Alot at that age is building supply up too.

It does get easier hun xxx

Aw you poor thing!

I can't add anymore than has been said just wanted to let you know it's normal and I feel for you. I went thru stages where it felt like Georgie was constantly attached to me. I have the nickname daisy now as I joked with oh I felt like daisy the cow lol it will calm down hun x

It's prob more he wants to be close to you and snell you and comfort suck than that he's actually hungry. Hang in there xx

Saw HV today, she said he probably doesnt want feeding as he is bringing up milk. I will try and regulate his feeds, my DH will take him so he doesnt smell me as he starts rooting and wants to comfort suck

Definately a growth spurt I think, I went coo coo when j was doin that, only to find out its a growth spurt, and they go thru so many!

so I sit here reading this and imagining I was asking the same question 10 months ago..I was also shattered and depressed..I had to top up as I didnt had enough milk to satisfy my babys hunger..I am glad I did as that calmed both of us down. My GP who highlighted that u have to handle emotional needs of a baby too so its important u get rest and are not very stressed..go ahead dear..

I agree with Loveleen - when it all gets too much nothing wrong with topping up with some formula. Maia fed CONSTANTLY at that age for hours at a time and it really took it out of me. Didn't have enough supply to keep up with her, boobs were agony, bum was numb from sitting feeding for hours and I was exhausted. I spent weeks and weeks determined not to give her any formula before I finally gave in and I wished I had done it earlier! The fact she had the odd bottle also made it easier for when we started to cut down the bfing a bit as she was used to having a bottle and took it no problem - we do half and half now.

Don't beat yourself up and use a bottle if you need a break! Bfing is obviously best for them but if baby is getting that for the majority of feeds a bottle for your sanity will do no harm!

And hang in there, it does improve eventually x

thank you ladies, I did top up and it was a life saver. We are now exclusively BFing and just over the birth weight. So far not too bad (apart from him wanting to sleep with me and not in his moses basket)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back