Article on Yahoo today - Pregnancy Myths

Olive

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share :)

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-parenting/pregnancy-myths-busted-article-ez4w.html

As soon as you announce you're pregnant everyone will be clambering round to give you advice: from your mum, to your other half's second cousin, to that chap you sat next to on the bus once. But often advice surrounding pregnancy is based on myths and old wives tales. So we've taken the top five pregnancy myths and busted them, bringing you the truth surrounding the myths. Now when old Aunt Ethel tells you to start eating for two, you can put her straight!

Myth 1 - Pregnancy causes "baby brain"
The long-held belief being that pregnancy triggers memory lapses dubbed "baby-brain" syndrome was debunked by a report in the British Journal of Psychiatry. According to a study by the Australian National University in Canberra, neither pregnancy nor motherhood damaged brain power, so being forgetful can no longer be blamed on the baby.

Myth 2 - How you carry your bump can predict its gender
How a bump is carried is as much to do with the mother's body shape and muscle tone. With first babies, the muscles and ligaments tend to be tighter so babies are carried higher. But a bump's position is also determined by the baby's presentation (whether it is breech or transverse), and its gestational age and weight.

Myth 3 - Stretch marks are avoidable if you slather on creams
Sadly girls, we all wish this one were true, but it isn't! Diligently applying expensive creams and potions from day one of pregnancy just doesn't pay off! There's no proof that any of the creams and oils that claim to prevent stretch marks actually work. The most they can achieve is a reduction of itching caused by dry skin during pregnancy. Stretch marks develop because of changes in the elastic supportive tissue that lies just beneath the skin. No one really knows why about half of pregnant women get them, and the rest don't.

Myth 4 - You're eating for two
The old phrase ' eating for two' is a little misleading. Most women don't need any extra calories for the first six months of pregnancy and only about 200 extra calories a day for the last 3 months. This is equivalent to one large banana, two slices of buttered toast or a small jacket potato with a little grated cheese. It's fine to have the occasional treat but if you put on too much weight, problems can result such as backache and varicose veins. Also it can be hard to shift the weight later.

Myth 5 - Having sex might hurt the baby
A lot of couples feel uncomfortable being intimate after they've discovered they're going to be parents. They worry that they could hurt their unborn child. These worries though are unfounded: Seven layers of skin from the abdominal wall to the amniotic sac protect your baby. Your cervix has lengthened and hardened to prevent anything from getting into the uterus. Additionally, your cervix is producing mucus to keep the vagina clean and infection free. Intercourse cannot reach, touch or harm the baby. The only exception to this is a woman whose doctor has told her to abstain because of a complication.

Oh no! It must by lies!

I already spent a fortune on Bio Oil - i have it stock piled... pfft, when i have zero stretchmarks thanks to my lotions and potions, i'll be laughing :oooo:

Lol. I think baby brain exists. If all we think about is ttc, imagine what we'll be like pregnant! x

Last edited:
Lol. I think baby brain exists. If all we think about is ttc, imagine what we'll be like pregnant! x

Ha! I was going to say that, but i chickened out because i haven't been pregnant :)

Must be hard to concentrate when you have a little person poking around in your gut :shock:

baby brain can't be a myth....I became soo scatterbrained 3rd Tri.....even forgot to put my foot on the brake when driving once and nearly crashed! Fortunately I was in a car park at time, doing 5 mph and the other car managed to avoid me......phew (never did anything like that before, or since)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back