ARGHHH - Heartburn!!

EllieBelle

Reaction score
Been awake since 5.30am with the most horrendous heartburn, so far taken 6 rennies, tried a glass of milk, tried walking round the house, sitting upright, and nothing is working........Im in absolute agony with it!! I just want to go back to bed as Im tired and cold now.......but until I can shift this discomfort there is no chance of sleeping!!

Any suggestions??

Gaviscon. get ur dr to do a repeat prescription for it in a big bottle. only thing that works for me, and i take some every night before i go to bed.

Hope this works

A
x

Gaviscon works for me too. I don't even bother with a spoon anymore, just keep it at the side of the bed and take a big swig when i need it.
I had terrible heartburn every evening last week, i know how painful it can be! :hug:

Awww hun, hope you managed to get some sleep...
I get heartburn and wake up with it too at times... I've started avoiding eating close to bedtime and taking a couple of rennies before settling down to bed... :hug:

Aww its not nice I know hun, like the ladies say try some gaviscon :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Some tips I found hun, hope it helps:

Number 1 Tip: Don’t eat or drink anything that makes you feel 'queasy' or uncomfortable. For example, carbonated soft drinks, alcohol (not good whilst pregnant anyway), chocolate, caffeine products, greasy foods and spicy foods. These trigger foods and beverages will vary between people, but these are the ones which are most likely to cause heartburn. Avoiding these products is one of the best remedies for heartburn whilst pregnant.

Number 2 Tip: Avoid large sized meals. Stick to smaller portions on a regular basis. Otherwise known as 'grazing'. Basically this means eat 5 or 6 smaller meals per day rather than 3 large ones. This is a great remedy for heartburn whether you are already suffering from it or not. Smaller meals are more easily digested, so this tip is actually an excellent habit to get into whether you are pregnant or not.

Number 3 Tip: Sleep on an elevated pillow. When your body is elevated as you sleep, stomach acids stay contained in their proper spot. You should feel better when you wake up once you get used to this position. There is no need to entirely sit up, just consider using an extra pillow or two.

Number 4 Tip: Ensure your clothes are not tight. You should be avoiding tight clothing whilst pregnant anyway, but take special note of anything that may be tight around the waist and chest area - for example your bra or elastic pants. This can actually trigger and worsen heartburn, so loose clothes are a must.

Thanks for all the advice...........I do have a bottle of Gaviscon Advance from the Dr but dont find it that effective, plus its so hard to swallow......Maybe I will give it a try this evening though!

I am also sleeping on about 4 pillows at the moment, due to this ongoing chest infection, but its not helping the heartburn!

oooo - you have reminded me - someone on here recommended refreshers.............. THEY WORK!!! it doesn't last forever, but it normally takes the edge off :D THANK YOU!!!!!

Problem is too many leave me feeling sick though, and alice seems to have found my stash so they don't last long!!

Milk does it for me a glass when go to bed and when ever i wake with heartburn i have another glass :dance:

Hi
Here are a few tips to see if anything might help:

Gaviscon

Peppermint tea (cool or warm - No coincidence that many heartburn remedies from the pharmacist are flavoured with peppermint. It is supposed to have an effect on the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach)

Separating proteins and starches in the diet

Increasing folic acid intake

Decrease intake of yeast-containing foods

Slippery elm... Simmer 1/2 tsp of slippery elm powder in 1 Cup Boiling water for 20 mins. Or mix 1 tsp with some honey and eat. Or take easier option of capsules

Chewing raw almonds

Slowly sipping milk

Eating yogurt

Don't drink with meals

Anise, fennel, or spearmint teas

A teaspoon of cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey dissolved in a cup of warm water. I know it sounds stupid to use vinegar to stop acid, but cider vinegar actually helps to de-acidify the body

Raw potato

Homeopathic remedies would be Bryonia, Causticum, Nux Vomica, Nat Mur, Pulsatilla, Merc, Zinc

Ginger biscuits / Marie biscuits

Sleep propped up on pillows if you suffer during the night

Also, have a look at: http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/ ... ifference/

Hope you might be able to find something that could help....
xxx

:hug: its so awful isnt it!?
when i get it bad and cannot get anything to stop it i find i get pains in my shoulders with it,i have a (reasonably) hot bath and lie back in it and have a soak and it generally eases this discomfort,i seem to live in my bath these days,ive never been so clean! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back