Argh Double/Tandem! HELP!!

Urchin

Reaction score
I neeeeeed to decide if I'm getting a double or a tandem pushchair.

I was all set on a double, but then someone here raved about how good their tandem is and now I'm all confused!

Please tell me what you got and the good/bad points!
I've been looking at the mothercare Phoenix tandem, which is quite cheap and looks ok.

I have a tandam and I do love it.
You can fit easily through all door and checkouts,
The babies can't fight with each other
and they are quite easy to push.
Bad points with mine are-
I have to take the front hood off now Nathans older so he can see more,
you tend to ram people with it in queues cos you forget how far away the front of the pram is :oops:
Even though my pram is really long Nathan still kicks the back of Aimees seat so she wines about that.
The child in the front steals a lot :oops:
If you go up a narrow isle you have to reverse all the way back down cos you can't turn around. But I suppose at least you can fit up the isle with a tandam :D

Whatever you go for make sure it has BIG wheels, preferably air ones as they make things a lot easier to push :)

Personally I think doubles are comfier for bubs and if you've got one with massive wheels then they're easy to push, but for convienience tandems are better because of the width issue.

Just don't get a Jane Powertwin, they're rubbish! And nearly everybody that I've spoken to who has one agrees (accept one person on the net).

I liked the double because I hated the idea of one being out of view behind the other. True tho, they did fight sometimes. I couldnt get it in a lot of shops but could with some.

Mines had air filled tyres and that was great for going out big long walks, so easy to push. :cheer:

Kina said:
Whatever you go for make sure it has BIG wheels, preferably air ones as they make things a lot easier to push :)

Personally I think doubles are comfier for bubs and if you've got one with massive wheels then they're easy to push, but for convienience tandems are better because of the width issue.

Just don't get a Jane Powertwin, they're rubbish! And nearly everybody that I've spoken to who has one agrees (accept one person on the net).

I had a powertwin and had no problems at all with it! I thought it was excellent!

I did lots of off road walkling with mine though........ :D

Lol well you're the 2nd person to disagree now :lol:

Did you have the 3 wheeler or 4? I've found the 3 wheeler to be awful when you've got a newborn in the back and heavier baby in the front as it veers off to the side due to the weight issue. I thought it was just my buggy for ages but after speaking to other mums that I've seen with them, including one last week at a toddler group, they've said the same thing. And they've all been disappointed with the quality of the pushchair considering the cost.

I prefer doubles because I think they are comfier and I would imagine that they are easier to push. I bought a double Maclaren for my Mum to use when she has Jake as my little brother still goes in a buggy sometimes. I really like it as it is easy to push and it fits through standard doors. I think the only downside to doubles is that the LO's can get to each other meaning that you will have to keep a close eye on them(not that you wouldn't anyway). Saying that though my little brother and Jake have never really bothered trying to get at each other.

These Maclaren's are reduced in Mothercare :D
http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

Thats the same as mine urchin and i love it my mate had no end of trouble when we used to go out with her side by side for getting through doorways etc and 30 quid what a bargain id go for it but then thats up to you! :wink:

My sister has this and thinks it's great:

red_powertwin_web.jpg

Can the LO in the back of the tandem see anything though? it looks like their view would be quite restricted and that they wouldn't have alot of room.

Arrrghh

red_powertwin_web.jpg

That demonic buggy is under my stairs, safe from veering my babies into the road :D

Gemma & Jake said:
Can the LO in the back of the tandem see anything though? it looks like their view would be quite restricted and that they wouldn't have alot of room.

Ella my eldest can't see anything from the back seat if Alex has got his hood up. If I ever use the buggy now it's on a dry day when I can have the hoods off.

Kina said:
Gemma & Jake said:

Ella my eldest can't see anything from the back seat if Alex has got his hood up. If I ever use the buggy now it's on a dry day when I can have the hoods off.

You put Ella in the back? I though the older one goes in the front?

By the time baby is big enough to want to see anything, Brody will probably be too big and stubborn to go into it anyway... that's why I just want a second hand one, I guess won't use it more than 9 months.

Urchin said:
Kina said:
Gemma & Jake said:

You put Ella in the back? I though the older one goes in the front?

By the time baby is big enough to want to see anything, Brody will probably be too big and stubborn to go into it anyway... that's why I just want a second hand one, I guess won't use it more than 9 months.

I avoid going out with it if its raining cos with the front hood on and the tent of a rain cover on, not only Nathan can't see nothing but neither can I can the pram is huge and you can't see where your walking.

I usually put Nathan in the back but Aimee usually fights him for it cos she loves going in the back.

Hmm, see, I'll be out for the school run whether it's raining or not... and Brody HATES a rain cover!

I keep looking at this ebay one, it's still 30 quid, no bids yet....I might just get it anyway and stuck in it Bargain pages if we don't get on with it.

Well I got it for 32 quid.
At least I'll be able to have a go with it and see if I like it, if not it can be a spare for my moms house or I can sell it on ebay again.

bargain really :)

The baby goes in the back whilst it needs to lie flat (first 6 months, but Alex was in it longer than that). Then when they can sit unaided and comfortably sit up in front they go there. If you have the heavier child in the front then all the weight is at the front, on one wheel, so it's really unbalanced. It's easier having the big one in the back :)

late reply sorry but.............

I have this buggy... http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 8&mcb=core

I LOVED it but now it squeeks and the middle wheel sticks!!! but i dont find it far to big for doors etc... u get caught on some stuff but with some skillful driving u can get through haha. I like it that they sit next to each other cos ellis always leans over and say "iya is" ... (hiya sis in english haha)

But i want a new buggy now!! :( xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back