are interviewers allowed to ask these questions?

mrs h

Reaction score
Hi basically i am ret to work soon but a vacancy has arised and i had an interview for the position even though still off on mat.Anyway i was discussing my mat leave and a person from human resources was taking notes as i was being interviewed and said you know the post is full time and are you going to manage? i said yes my husband had just been made redundant so he is going to look after the baby.He then said is your husband happy about that? so i felt the need to explain that yes my husband is happy and he is going to start a business up from home and that childcare wont be a problem.He then said oh so you will still have money coming in then? i felt a bit annoyed as i didnt see what this had to do with me doing the job and i felt i had to promise i had childcare sorted.I thought you werent alllowed to say things like thsi especially someone from hr. Am i wrong?

I'd have been tempted to tell him to wind his neck in its none of his business! How fcuking rude!!!!

As for the correct procedure i dont actually know :rotfl: Although i do wanna smack this dude for you :evil:

Whether they can or cant i think thats a bit F'in cheeky!! I personaly dont thnik they should have asked.

thats well outa order, you should have been talkin about work related problems, not u r personal life, and their always the ones who say dont bring yer personal problems to work, nosey bugger, id have said if it was anythink to do with you id tell you xkelx

i was tempted to say something but i really need this job

I found this on another website and it may be of interest to you,

http://www.eoc.org.uk/Default.aspx?page ... heme=print

It is acceptable for an employer to ask questions at interview to find out whether the applicant can meet the needs of the job in hours, overtime, mobility etc. However, this should be done by asking all candidates the same questions, which should be gender neutral. For example, it would be reasonable for an interviewer to ask "You will occasionally be required to work away from home. Will you be able to do that?". If you attend an interview where you are asked a lot of questions about your childcare arrangements, or your marriage/family plans, you might be entitled to assume that the interviewer was making discriminatory assumptions about your ability to comply with the demands of the job and you can challenge this. If you suspect that the employer is not treating men with caring responsibilities in the same way, you could have a claim of direct sex discrimination. You may have a claim of indirect discrimination if you can show that the employer has a practice of refusing to employ people who have childcare responsibilities because such a practice would put women at a disadvantage compared to men.

Good luck and I hope that you get the job

thanks for that website link im just going to wait and see what happens and hopefully i ll get it

you can betthat the men were not asked these questions. It makes me bloody angry :evil:

I think you should write a letter of complaint, that is totally unacceptable behaviour and definatly not proper interveiw procedure

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back