Applying for varied shift jobs

AugustMum

Reaction score
Just wondered if anybody worked on varied shift patterns and how they got around childcare?

Theres a job as a Doner Carer that I want to apply for but its 57 house over 2 weeks with varied hours. In the form it says they will give you 2 months warning of your shift patterns, but how do you work around childcare with that? Will childminders been more flexible than nurserys or will I just have to book certain days and pay for them whether Im working or not.

It just seems like itll cost alot to do the latter and surely people must work varied patterns but still have children!

Thanks to anyone who can help! Im applying for it anyway as it closes tonight so might as well try but just a little concerned about childcare :)

No advice re hours but my Childminder is very flexible, I'm hoping to tell her i want a minimum of 20 hrs and then pay for more if needed. I know I need around 26hrs of childcare but that could vary from week to week x

I was looking into a childminder just because I dont trust nurserys anymore. Id just feel a bit mean saying 'ok so for 2 months she needs care on these time but then after that I have no idea' lol. But I suppose 2 months warning is better than a week or something.

Nurserys by me are completely inflexible, my OH works 4days on then 4 days off so some weeks we will need 4 days and others only 1, but you can't do that so we would have to pay for 5 days to secure his place! Luckily family are helping out now instead. I think a childminder would be more flexible, good luck xxx

It's a shame none of you girls live locally to me- I am a primary school teacher but wanted to work as a nanny for a year looking after 1-2 other babies as well as Ella. My problem is that not many people like the idea of someone looking after their own bub too.

I'd say you may be better off hiring a nanny. X

I did look into having a nanny but I think the cost would be too much. I know somebody who is a childminder who I used to work with at the nursery so I might try and contact her. Shes just had a little girl a few weeks ago I believe but usually if you're self employed you don't take much time off. Just got to hope I get the job now! Theres NO jobs at the moment. I asked for an application form from one company and they didnt even send me it. :(

Zazu, nurserys are the same here, you pick your days and you keep them, because I was only in uni for one day a week but it alternated between two days and FOB had her sometimes on a Tuesday so some weeks she didnt even go into nursery or Id say take her in for a few hours just to feel like I was getting my moneys worth lol.

i work varied hours/days per week at work as does my OH. altho, it will hopefully (fingers crossed) work out quite well for us as we do self rostering so basically pick when we work and the managers r pretty good at accomodating it especially if you have children. ask if its self rostering, if its nhs it usually is !

I used to b a care assistant and worked varied shifts but my childminder was flexible-even with early starts (she'd have the kids from 6.45am) it was just an evenin shift that was harder cos I had to find some1 else to pick kids up then take them home and put them to bed.
You'll probably find that although it says varied shifts your shifts would follow sone kind of pattern-maybe over 2,4,6 or even 8 weeks but would still be doable. My work used to give me a weeks notice!!! Xx

It says they give a minimum of 8 weeks notice of shifts and my parents only live round the corner and are willing to help. Ive just got to hope I at least get an interview lol. I can imagine alot of people are applying though so Im not holding out to much hope.

Thank for all the replies ladies :D Deffinatly think Im going to go with a childminder, they seem so much more flexable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back