Anyone tried yoga?

Hazel

Reaction score
Anyone tried it?

I've been really slack on the exercise since becoming pregnant and I want to get my fitness level back up now I have some energy as I've read the birth will be easier. Was quite active anyway with hiking at weekends and swimming at least 3 times a week.

I was thinking of getting a dvd off ebay to see how I like it then might try a class. It will probably help my back also as having to go up the stairs on all fours sometimes :roll: .

Hiya,

I've got a Buddha Bellies dvd - specifically for pregnancy - it seems quite good and has different levels for your fitness/suppleness etc.

I used to do yoga a couple of years ago, I really liked it but wished the class was on all year rather than just in term times - I used to get all unflexible during the holidays again. I go swimming twice a week now and have found that really good for my stamina levels - although walking up stairs really puffs me out :think: I figure labour is more likely to be like swimming than climbing stairs :lol:

I love yoga, I've been doing it for years and I found this great book called Yoga for Pregnancy by Francoise Freedman. I feel really good after I've done a half hour session but I also use some of the principles if I'm feeling tired, achy or if I have specific pains anywhere through fatigue.

But swimming is really good too. I did loads more swimming when I was pregnant last time around but I had more time to myself then. I guess I'll just have to make more time. I love the way it makes me feel lighter and the baby seems to like it too as she seems to wriggle more!

Give yoga a go - it's not everyone's cup of tea but it works for me :D

I'd really like to try it - trying to find a day class though round here is a nightmare :roll: I got a few more numbers to try so thats my little mission for next week as I need to do sommat to tone my muscles and our local swimming pool is disgusting - ever since my Mum took me into Bath and took me to the Thermae Spa I have become a right swimming pool snob - if its not pretty and doesn't have bubbles I aren't interested :rotfl:

I'm doing a Yoga in Pregnancy course at the moment at my local leisure centre. It is just brilliant and girls which have been before in previous pregancies says the breathing and other excersises really help during labour. We've been told which postures to do from 32 weeks to help get the baby in the optimal foetal position and I'm hoping to move my low placenta!

Doh! I've just read this post after Ive posted one about the same thing!! The class Ive booked in for is not actually specifically for pregnancy do you think this is ok?? Ive never tried it.xx

I go to yoga classes every week, I started about 2.5 years ago. I did it through out my last pregnancy and I'm convinced it helped in labour. I was really calm and focussed.

I go to normal yoga classes not ante natal yoga classes, my instructor advises me what's safe to do etc and gives me alternate positions to do. Luckily our classes run every week not in terms so it's much better.

I have the book that Sydneys Mum mentioned, I would also highly recommend it but it's best to go along to a class if you're a newbie to yoga aswell I think.

You feel so relaxed afterwards, it really is worth a try.

Yes, I do yoga. It is supposed to help significantly in the labour process, which is one of the main reasons I have kept it up during pregnancy. My class is not for pregnant women but my teacher adapts the poses just for me.

Thanks Bagpuss and Ani thats great to hear I was really worried I shouldnt go if its not designed for pregnancy, I think I will go on Tuesday then to try it out, they do weekly evening classes so be good times too. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back