Anyone taking fluoxetine while ttc ?.

lillith112

Reaction score
Tried this before only for a few days but made me feel like I had drank 40 red bulls. I was told this was the only antidepressant you can take safely while ttc. I have the liquid version but am scared to try I again but I am struggling so much with my mood after my miscarriage and feel weepy and exhausted all the time and cannot sleep a wink. I just wondered if what anyone else's experience is of it ?. x

I have been taking fluoxetine since I was 17. Spoke with my doctor closely about it both this time and last time I was pregnant/ttc. And we both agreed to slowly come off of it. I don't think it effects ttc but since I've been off it completely for 2 months now I feel great. I hope that talking to your doctor you'll be able to find some common ground on it. It could just be hormones effecting your side effects but I'm no doctor.

Hope you find a solution soon hun. :hug:

Last edited:
i was taking fluoxetine when i fell pregnant and im now 9 weeks and only now have the doctors brought me in to review the medication i am on, which is this evening.

i was taking it in tablet form but i stopped myself when i found out i was expecting stopped all medication, i feel okay some days and others i feel like i should be taking something, mine was mainly to deal with depression but also my anxiety attacks which can be quite bad, ive only had one so far recently.

hope you find the answer i will let you know what my DR says this afternoon

Tried this before only for a few days but made me feel like I had drank 40 red bulls. I was told this was the only antidepressant you can take safely while ttc.

Oh lord, I've just been prescribed Citalopram. Haven't decided whether or not I'm going to take it...

I have been taking fluoxetine since I was 17. Spoke with my doctor closely about it both this time and last time I was pregnant/ttc. And we both agreed to slowly come off of it. I don't think it effects ttc but since I've been off it completely for 2 months now I feel great. I hope that talking to your doctor you'll be able to find some common ground on it. It could just be hormones effecting your side effects but I'm no doctor.

Hope you find a solution soon hun. :hug:

Sarah did you have any side effects while taking it ?, is your sleep ok ?. My Dr said it's safe to take during conception and pregnancy. I'm just finding everything really hard to cope with at the moment. x

i was taking fluoxetine when i fell pregnant and im now 9 weeks and only now have the doctors brought me in to review the medication i am on, which is this evening.

i was taking it in tablet form but i stopped myself when i found out i was expecting stopped all medication, i feel okay some days and others i feel like i should be taking something, mine was mainly to deal with depression but also my anxiety attacks which can be quite bad, ive only had one so far recently.

hope you find the answer i will let you know what my DR says this afternoon

Thanks Leighwiltshire, have you found it a good medication to be on ?, I'm so scared to try it incase I can't sleep but I'm not sleeping anyway so guess it won't make much of a difference lol.
Yes please let me know what your gp says. x

Tried this before only for a few days but made me feel like I had drank 40 red bulls. I was told this was the only antidepressant you can take safely while ttc.

Oh lord, I've just been prescribed Citalopram. Haven't decided whether or not I'm going to take it...

Coolnomore I have tried citalopram, I had 2 weeks of hell, same as fluoxetine I felt hyper and over stimuled and didn't sleep but after that I slept like a baby. Unfortunately I had awful side effect of permanent hot flushes, my face was bright red and burning, my gp said it is a side effect as it dilates blood vessels. x

My husband is on citalopram, I know it isn't quite the same but we asked our GP if he could still take it when ttc and she said it was the one she prescribed to pregnant ladies, so I assume that one must also be ok for ttc. As I understand it there are loads of options, your GP just might need to do some research to find one that is both ok to ttc on and agrees with you.

I've been told that fluoxetine and sertraline are the safest options in pregnancy and there is no need to come off them x

I was on fluoxetine before IVF. I spoke to my fertility consultant about it. He said it doesn't affect conception. I decided to wean myself off of it leading up to IVF as I was feeling more stable anyway.
If you are feeling low then it's worth a go. It helped me massively out of a very dark time in the past. It took a couple of weeks to feel a change and after a month I was feeling brighter and more myself xx

Lilith I found to begin with there was insane insomnia. Out of no where no matter how tired I was i just could not sleep. It also made me have tremors in my hands for the first few weeks. My gp also said it was perfectly fine to take during pregnancy and ttc as the benefits of it out weighed any cons, but I felt more comfortable not taking it.

I also have taken citalopram a few years ago but it didn't seem to work for me and made my mood worsen. I used fluoxetine to deal with anxiety too, and some days I feel like I should be taking something but mood wise its been mostly okay.

I'd speak to your gp if your having anything uncommon. But the insomnia etc only lasted a few weeks for me until the dosage was put up.

Last edited:
it takes a while for your body to adjust to taking the tablet, i wasnt sleeping well anyway with worry and anxiety and i couldnt get out the house to do simple things like the shopping, it would cause a massive panic attack and i would run out. so i never noticed the insomnia, i did however notice the life in my mood i couldnt stop laughing for the first few days until my body adjusted.

i have found it very beneficial, i spoke to the docs, and i told her i felt fine after stopping as on the pregnancy high, however speaking to my OH he thinks i am suffering still and i shouldnt have come off it. i may go back to the doctors and talk some more, as when i struggle i push people away and right now i need family and friends around me and im terrified im not going to love my baby like i should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back