Anyone handraised kittens?

Momma`Kat

Reaction score
Ive done a couple of litters over the years, But was wondering is anyone could give me some tips..

Ive got a lone kitten, about 3-4 weeks old.. my problem is that she doesnt seem to have a suck reflex, she mouths the bottle and tries chewing on it but gets frustrated and gives up. Ive been syringe feedin her instead to make sure she gets some food, but its a very small amount before she gets upset.

Ive tried mixxing a lil kitten meat with formula on a plate, but she shows no interest in it and goes back to rooting for food (Mouthing, pawing) at my leg, so i know she is hungry.

Does anyone have any tips? Only thing left that i can think of is tube feeding, which im not keen on doing unless its absolutely necessary.

I have, they wouldn't take a bottle either, we had to use an eye dropper, fed them like that for 4 weeks, before they would lap milk, but we had them from birth, mum died :( It was tiring feeding 4 of them every hour for the first week then every two til they started to lap

Im on 2 hours at the moment aswelll, just cause she is taking so little, by 3 weeks they should be able to sit 6 hours between feeds, if they are taking a good amount.

Ive done it once hon and used a syringe. Food wise my mum mixed the kitten milk from the vet with ready break (of all things!!) and they loved it until they were ready for meat x x x

I have too, cos mum neglected them, and the vet said they needed 1ml every hour!?!?! and I also had trouble getting them to take the milk. I just kept on at them and eventually they seemed to take to it by lapping the drops rather than sucking.
stilll, they will be ready for solids in a week or so, so they're past that really baby stage soon. x

I have too, cos mum neglected them, and the vet said they needed 1ml every hour!?!?! and I also had trouble getting them to take the milk. I just kept on at them and eventually they seemed to take to it by lapping the drops rather than sucking.
stilll, they will be ready for solids in a week or so, so they're past that really baby stage soon. x

1ml an hour !? How old were they? My vet told me a kitten over a week old should be taking up to 120ml a day!

Readybrek.. will give it a try later didnt think of that. Will be good for weaning too!

She is taking 10mls every 4 hours or so at the moment, Shes not happy about it, but its going down atleast!

Thanks girls :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back