Anyone got a renault megane?!?! Need advice

Mummy Rich

Reaction score
I have currently got an 07 astra but you cant turn off the airbag in the front seat and its only a 3 door which is a pain!

So before babba comes we're looking at trading in for something that you can turn the front airbag off and is a 5 door. Got a great trade in deal which we can afford on an 08 plate renault megane. It's fab and has everything we want.

However... my oh's uncle is a mechanic and said they can have probs with the electrics... mainly the windows. The warranty dosent run out for 2 yrs on it so that would cover it but now am really unsure.

Evrythin else seems spot on. Dont wanna be stuck wiv a nightmare car.

Anyone got any experience or friends that have with this car??xxx

Thanks in advance x

No real experience, but i used to work for Renault and drove them alot. They are comfy on long journeys, so roomy and such a lovely drive. Just make sure if anything does go wrong to make the most of the warranty.

I've not heard of any real problems though.

i do!
but mine is a P reg, so it's quite a few years old.
He's right with problems with the electrics though.
Since I bought it (3 years ago) I had to have the keys resoldered cause they wouldn't unplip the immobiliser.

The immobiliser sits right underneath the ariel and so occasionally it's got wet and doesn't work

my light for the clock and temperature on the dashboard doesnt work.

I haven't had any window problems though. occasionally one of my back doors wont let via the central locking so ive had to do it manually.

but, like i say, my car is a p reg, so they may have sorted a lot of these issues out

We own a windscreen garage and have not had any Meganes in with dodgy windows.Hubby said meganes are ok and have a good safety record.

we have a renault megane , 2003, bought it in August 07. it has a small electrical problem - when you turn off the engine if you have left the lights on, it doesnt beep to warn you, but then when you come back to the car and open it, it starts beeping and you realise you must have left them on. Also, if you have left the lights on , usually they will turn off when the engine goes off , but sometimes they come back on. Not a problem if you always remember to turn them off, but without the warning noise its easy to forget!

The other problem we have had is needing a replacement key as it stopped working.

But apart from that its been fine mechanically, replaced the coils but that is the only thing in 2 years.

thanks girls... going down the dealership later on to discuss it xx

Havent had one myself but my friends one had a flat battery the other day and because of the fact that theres no 'key' as such, its a card, the whole system shut down and the handbrake wouldnt come off so she couldnt even bump start it, we were stuck while the AA man came and fitted a new battery, so IMO the fact theres no key puts me right off.

I had a new Clio... never had any problems with that...

I have hurd good things about the Megan.

We had a scenic and kept is for 6wks and sent it back and vowed never to have a Renault again! Every single thing you could think of went wrong with it, including electrical faults and break failures and it was a brand new car

I have a 52 plate one and it was a money pit! Would never have another, my friend just chopped her 06 one in for a vectra because she had so many problems with hers to. Mainly electrical.

I had...

Dodgy windows
the petrol gauge just stoped working and only went up half way never to full
new gear box because the "fly wheel" had gone (that was a 1500 bill, because you could only get the part from the dealer)
the agro i had just over a flat battery! nightmare.
That "key" card thing is just a pain. You cant put it on your keys like a normal key so you forever hunting it out.
There expensive to repair. VERY!

Its a nice car to drive when its driving but when its not it cost mega bucks to fix. I sold mine in the end far below what it should have been worth but i just wanted it off my drive before i spent more and more on it.

how did it go? I was just gonna add my mum has one as as much as renault's are nice she has a dodgy sunroof that doesnt always open, the drivers window doesn't open and she had to have them look at keycard as it wouldn't open as you walked to it (works now and is very handing when you have kids) as for the keycard it does fit on keys ok I find as long as you don't have too many keys!

I ended up getting one. It still has two yrs warranty so will be free to repair for them yrs. If after its a pain we'll trade again.

Just couldnt pass on this deal... I asked him to throw in 12 months road tax not 6 and some petrol and he was like i cant and i replied... with one hand on my tummy :lol:

If you want the deal now you will.. so he replied to my oh..'she knows what she wants and she's hard work!' It's a deal.'

Providing the finance goes thru I pic up 'Marlie Megane' on Wed. It will be so easier with 5 doors and an air bag you can turn off in the front.

Fingers crossed it does ok for me xx

Again thanks for all the replies x

Well hope you have no problems with it and it serves you well. Just wondering it might be worth researching as I'm sure I read somewhere that even though you can turn the airbag off they recommend you still don't put babies in the passenger seat (or child really up to 12 - But that's more a personal choice I guess)

Don't want to start a debate just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back