turning the air bags off in your car

hayley

Reaction score
I don't know where to post this so i'm going to post it in a few places - sorry if you read it twice..

My car seat wont fit on the back seat of my car - seats slope back which means the babies head would fall too far forward. I'm changing my car soon anyway but in the mean time will have to put the baby in the front. So i need to turn off the air bag on the dash board and side of the seat. Does anyone know how to do this? I also want to remove the fuse to be extra sure. I've tried called Renault but i either get someone who has no idea or someone who just fobs me off. It's a renault megane but not the new shape with the bum - it's the old convertable shape.

Any ideas?

x

Any decent mechanic should be able to do it for you hun.

hi hayley even if u turn the air bag of there is still a chance the air bag will go of, i am a trained car seat fitter and would not recommed it at all.

PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS

Do not attempt to turn it off babe - they can still go off, and what will happen to the baby i don't even want to say.
I asked my dealer, even HQ to have my front one turned off permanently (cut the wires and take air bag out) so I can have Damien in the front (because he stops breathing) but you're not allowed to do it as it modifies the car, invalidates nay warrenty and insurance you have at the time. they just won't.

Did you not get the car seat fitted before you bought it hun?

I'm afraid the only options are risk it, or buy a new car seat and make sure you get it fitted before you take it home. Baby is safest in the back of the car.

the thing is i have no choice... no car seat will fit my back seats. Even ones that fit on the box don't sit right as the seats are really small and slope back too far. The only other option is to not drive. We bought a really good car seat which we had fitted to the front seat to make sure it's okay.

We're trying to change my car for something more practical as my husband has the same car as me just newer - so we're buggered... we chose the scenic and my car seat fits perfectly in the back but the dealer can't get me one till Oct. Bumer... so we're now looking at the Citreo C4... don't know how long the wait is on this...

It's becoming a bloody headache... just don't know what to do in the mean time..

x

none at all? That'd odd :( I would speak to your local Renault dealership (who has a garage there too) and ask them. You'll probably have to pay to turn it back on again when you sel it.

I have a new astra amd the mothercare's car seat which came with a buggy fits perfectly, and my seats are sloped back too. Can't fit the base bracket in it though as it just leans back far too far. :roll:

Sorry I can't help more than that x

I wouldn't recommend it as it could go off anyway but I didn't know that you could turn them off.

How come it's going to take so long to get a Scenic? Is it a new model?

My mini is the same, because of the shape of the seats it's very difficult to find a car seat that fits. We've got a silver cross pushchair, the seat does fit but it's hardwork with only 3 doors.

Hubby bought an A3 though so we have one practical car between us.

I would have to pay £300 to get the front air seat bag switched off but I wouldn't dare do it after the advice from people in the know on this site. It's not worth chancing.

Is there no other dealer that can find you a scenic before October?

In our 307 you have a keyslot next to where to gearstick is and you just turn the key in it and it disables the passenger airbag. And on my dads golf there is a switch on the dash so yoiu can turn it off :) or you could always have it taken out :)

HI we have the renault megane 225 sport and a seat ges fine in the back of these,so yor hubby's car should be okay. I had a scenic til recently it was a privelledge only 7 months old but was stolen ;-( can recommend these they are perfect for families. You are right on waiting til oct they are doing a revised model on the scenic as the filter on the old style (2006) was a nightmare!
Good luck hope you work it out!
B

thanks for your advice.. we're going to have a go at fitting the car in the back seat because i thought it looked okay when the lady at mothercare fitted it but she said no... as you all say it's so dangerous in the front... i'm sure we can fit the seat in the back til we get a family car - scenic out the question! not waiting till Oct - they're changing the spec or something so wont take any new orders...

any ideas on what car would make a good family car and not eat petrol...

x

We have a peugeot 307 HDi, very spacious, comfortable, aircon, safe, airbags driver and passenger and down both sides of the car. VERY good on mileage, i cant remember how much we got to tank but it was very high! we were shocked. Higher than what we were told we would get which was good in the first place. Il let you know when Alan gets back.

Cas x

There is a Ford Focus is it C-max? that is like a MPV they are lovely and as good as the scenic. I am hoping to get hubby to buy me a new Espace as I love them but with the tag at 44k he is going to take some convincing,lol.

Depends what car you like really and what makes. I like sporty,practical and family and apart from our scenic have not managed to find one that fits the bill the same and as it was pretty much one off i cant replace either...........grrrr so annoying
Good luck
B

44k for an espace!!! jesus i could think of much nicer cars for that price!!!

sorry its just a hell of alot of money.

Yes i know but it would be forever if you get me with sat-nav all the mod-cons,wouldnt get a car just for a few months. The scenic was 22k sorry I think the Espace is 33k oops my mistake brain gone or summat.

Hubby just said on the maganes there is a switch near the gear box to turn off the air-bag.
B

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back