• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone an estate agent or know about house valuations?

KirstyD

Reaction score
We have a lovely little 2 bed house now and certainly not complaining as i know some people have smaller places but we would love to move to a bigger house but thinking it may not be the best of times to move plus with me on maternity leave next year we won't be able to afford a big increase in mortgage payments anyway.

A house over the road has just had a conservatory put in so we started thinking maybe we could do the same. My question is about valuation of the house, we have a pretty small garden anyway which would be VERY small if we did have a conservatory. Do you think a bigger garden or a conservatory would be better for long term house valuation on a 2 bed end terrace house.

Wondering whether to go for it and stay put for longer or to save the money towards a bigger house??

there is a site hun where u can put in your postcode and it tells you the value of your house i will try and find it for u

I could of wrote that post myself as we are in the exactly same postion. We have a 2 bed terrace with a small garden and we want to move to a 3 bed. The problem we found that most mortgage companys will not touch you if your on ml so we can not get a increased mortgage at the mo even though we can afford it monthly.

I worked for a estate agent (but didnt do the valuations just the viewings). We wished now that we moved before we had DD to a bigger family home before i went on ml so we would of been settled but we didnt. If it was me i wouldnt put a conservatory on if it means losing space in your garden that you cant really afford to lose as 2 bed houses are what they are and they will always sell to the first time buyers/investors.

BUT if you could not afford the mortgage on a bigger house than upgrading is not really an option so that changes everything. Therefore i would sit down and think about how long you are planning on living there, do you want a 2nd child after this one and if so is the house big enough for two children. If you have a conservatory how much space will you gain? What would you use it for as you will be losing most of your garden which in the summer when lo is bigger you will want. In otherwords what is more important to you. A decent garden or more space.

IMO i think most people would want a 2 bed house will a garden they can use than a conservatory but its probaly worth getting a local estate agent round as they will be able to advise you on the sort of people that would be looking for a proerty like yours and what would be more important to them. If you have a lot of retired people in your area buying that sort of thing then they might prefer having more downstairs accomodation and a smaller garden to maintain.

Sorry ive gone on a bit but we were in the exactly same postion we have since decided to stay in our small house till after baby number 2 as we want to start trying in 6 months then move when we really have to that way we can pay smaller mortgage payments for longer and get the benefit of having smaller bills, plus i dont have to go back to work.

Hiya!

With the way things are at the moment i would stay where you are and save your pennies. The housing market is soo slow that you may not get a buyer anyway (i was trying to sell at the start of the year and that was bad enough and gave up)

With regards to the conservatory, all i can say is that i have one which has made my garden extremely small but obviously the house is now bigger (only a 1 bed). People dont tend to see what they have got rather what the havent when considering a house. What i thought would be a good selling point actually wasnt. The reason people said they didnt want to put an offer in is because they wanted a bigger garden! No pleasing some.

Claire x

My 2 bed semi has been on the market since beginning of Sept, I've had lots of viewing but no offers :( . I really want to move to a 3 bed by next summer and have found somewhere but getting fed up. We want to move as want to start trying for no.2 end of next year but need bigger house beforehand :wall: .

It's really not a good time to be moving as there aren't many first time buyers and my house is a first time house :( .

Sorry, I waffled then :lol: . A conservatory would suit some and not others, I personally would want a bigger garden for kids to play in and enough room to dry my washing but if yours is a 2 bed then it's unlikely a family would buy it.

Hazel said:
My 2 bed semi has been on the market since beginning of Sept, I've had lots of viewing but no offers :( . I really want to move to a 3 bed by next summer and have found somewhere but getting fed up. We want to move as want to start trying for no.2 end of next year but need bigger house beforehand :wall: .

It's really not a good time to be moving as there aren't many first time buyers and my house is a first time house :( .

I'm surprised you can get first time buyers even looking at a 2 bed now days.. alot of them can only just get a mortgage for a 1 bed flat if that!.. the market has gone crazy! Im just glad i got what i did when i did even though its only a 1 bed, at least i have a roof over my head!

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back