Anybody with a high BMI had a water birth?

Summergurl

Reaction score
I'm keen on the idea of trying a water birth (at the hospital) but from the start my bmi was over. Only by .6 but still over. I've heard that if it is over then you're not allowed to have a water birth.

Just wondering if anybody has actually had one with a high bmi?

My bmi is the only risk factor I have, making me low risk, and my pregnancy has been very plain sailing so far. I think it'd be a bit mean to not let me atleast try :(

Hello! My BMI is 30.5 so I am classed as high BMI but I am allowed a water birth if I really want one my midwife said, have you actually asked? Usually its if its 40 or above they won't let you and you would be classed as high risk. I am classed as low risk even though I have a BMI of 30.5 so I am super glad about that! xx

Well that's good to hear. I will ask her myself at the next appt but mine was high because I was 35.6 and they said anything over 35 is high. Strange how it's different everywhere!

Yeah that is weird, to be honest that still isn't that high according to my consultant xx

I was a point over and I'm allowed one if I don't be induced.

You are allowed.

Basically if you put your foot down they can't refuse you. They have guidelines they work to but ultimately it's your baby and your birth so you decide.

haha yeah thats the other thing is buying swim wear for it lol, I have an old crop top I might just wear lol xx

You are allowed.

Basically if you put your foot down they can't refuse you. They have guidelines they work to but ultimately it's your baby and your birth so you decide.

Is that to me or to the water birth with high bmi? I'm hoping me lol x

Is that to me or to the water birth with high bmi? I'm hoping me lol x

In general. UK law states it's the woman's right to decide when, where & how she gives birth, Drs and midwives can only advise you on their guidelines, and what they feel is safest, but they have a duty to fully explain all your options and let you make the final decision. Obviously certain things would cause you to not be able to have other things, eg if you chose to have an epidural you wouldn't be able to walk around or use the pool, but you're able to decline the epidural (for example).

Check with your hospital too because when I had my kids I was told I couldn't have a water birth if I was induced, but the same hospital now are saying you are fine to have a water birth with induction as long as you are induced by pessary or having your waters broken.
It's only if you have to have the drip that they can't let you in the pool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back