any teachers know about maternity pay?

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hello :wave:

I am planning to leave my job permently and become a full time mummy, however, I am going to keep my right to return to work open when I begin my leave, just in case something goes wrong. I will hand in my official resignation when the baby is born and everything is ok.

I know I will have to repay some of my maternity payment when I resign, I am prepared for that, I just wondered if anyone knew how much I would have to pay back?

I'm just about to return(scary!!!! :cry: ) I know that if I want to keep my maternity payments I have to work for 13 weeks. I'm not sure if this means you have to pay back 13 weeks(?) Maybe it is just the etxra that you have had on top of SMP. Sorry not a lot of help, I found the maternity payemnts really confusing, every month seems so different

I'm not a teacher but the rules used to be that you had to return to work for 1 month (or equivalent if you were part time), one way to get round this is by taking annual leave AFTER any paid/unpaid maternity leave that you take as that is then classed as 'returning to work',

you would only be required to repay any 'contractual' maternity pay over the amount of SMP

http://www.eoc-law.org.uk/Default.aspx? ... ernity_pay

Thanks for your replies :)

I am not bothered about getting around it as we don't get annual leave.

I am just trying to calculate how much I would have to pay back.
My sister reckons it would be the 12 weeks at half my usual salary.

a) A teacher under Burgundy Book (local authority employment) conditions of service with one year or more continuous service by 11th week before the EWC will receive:

four weeks' full pay;
two weeks' 90% pay;
12 weeks' half pay plus SMP;
21 weeks' SMP;
13 weeks' unpaid leave.

I am so jealous. I'm in the independent sector and I just get the basic legal minimum :cry:

Still, at least I won't have to pay any of it back! :rotfl:

You would have to pay back the 12 weeks at half pay- but not the SMP (if I have understood things correctly) if you do not return to work. I am planning to return to work part time and worried that this would affect how much maternity pay I would receive or how much I may have to pay back, but apparently even returning for 1 day per week entitles you to keep the 12 weeks at half pay- at least it does where I work, but i work in the independent sector, but they do follow the same systems for maternity as state schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back