• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any suggestions???

Daggers

Reaction score
Ever since Otis was 2 weeks old he has had a bottle of expressed milk before bedtime, which has never been a problem. Now since about a week or so he just pulls away from his bottle and starts crying!!!! I've tried warming a bit more which did the trick one night but he just won't have it now :x ! I've now had to resort to giving him the boob and then as he gets sleepy I slip the bottle in.
I have started weening him on Ready Brek for about 2-3weeks and was considering giving him a bottle of EBM during the day???
Also I THINK that because he's drinking from the boob now he may not be taking in as much as did with the bottle (5oz) and therefore he's been waking more.
Anyone experinced the same with their LO or have ANY suggestions?

not sure as I've got a selection of bottles handed down from my sister, the ones I mainly use are the Avent not sure what teats come with them and the Tommy Tipee.
It's just strange that 5months later he's decided he's had enough! Tonight I managed to give him 1oz via the bottle by swapping from the boob to bottle every so often :roll: !
He still takes his dummy though?!

Sounds frustrating. I think Nicky could be right about the teats. The avent ones have numbers on the side of them. If it's a number 1 teat he could be getting frustrated. Gabriella has a no. 2 teat as she has not been that used to the bottle but I am going to try a no. 3.

Could it be his teeth/gums???

Hope it gets better :hug:

I am using number 2 teats (Tommee Tippee ones) with Ellie.

No 1. teats are 0-3months
No 2. teats are 3-6months
No 3. teats are 6+ months

However they also recommend using slower flow teats if you are mixing breast and bottle. Which is why I am using No 2 with Ellie even though she is over 6 months now. If you are still on No 1. teats then he could be getting fustrated. If your flow is anything like mine it is rather enthusiastic, compare that with how much comes out the bottle if you suck on it.

Will check the teats in a minute, and if they are no.1s I'll have to get some stage 2 ones. I really can't have him turning down the bottle at this stage!!!!

Hey some result, I checked the teats I've been using and the Tommy Tippe one's are both stage 1, from the Avent ones I've got both stage 2's and one stage 4. I fed Otis with the stage 4 teat tonight (only 2oz, don't want to waste to much if he rejects it!) and he ate all of it - not all in one go mind you but it's a start. May get some stage 2 or 3 Tommy Tippe teats tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestion Nicky!

MAM teats are also very good for breastfeeders as they are a different shape and have a texture that's supposed to be like skin.

Good luck!

Oh good I was going to ask about teats for breastfed babies. Leorah has 2 x 4oz bottles in the evening from her dad. I am still using size 1 teats as I was worried that the size 2 might make things really easy and she'll prefer it to the breast. She's still ok on the size 1 so should I just leave it at that? I have size 2 teats too. Also she used to be a very windy baby so I am worried if the flow is fast she 'll have problems again. Cheers :)

Oh BTW Daggers Leorah doesn't take the bottle of me very well but is fine with her dad or someone else so perhaps he is starting to associate you with boob now. The older Leorah gets the more associations and rituals she's making herself :)

Hey Katt, guess I could get OH to try feeding Oats at night but it has never been a problem before, and it certainly didn't work a few nights ago! I only seem to be able get Otis to have a wee bit out the bottle when he's really tired, then he'll just have a bit and pull off!!! :roll:
I was going to try and change our routine in that I'll just start BFing him at night and try giving a bottle during the day? hmmm maybe I'll hold off and get OH to try for a couple of evenings - this also a great milk wasting exercise!!!!
Just read Mel's post on using the cup so I'm going to try that on Oats tomorrow with some water... :think:

Daggers do you think Otis could be telling you he's ready to go to bed earlier? I had this the other way around, Leorah dropped her last BF and moaned until she got a bottle from Martin which is one of the steps to her bedtime. I had a panic that she was rejecting the breast but then we realised she was just telling us she's ready for bed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back