Any full-time working parents out there struggling with child care?

Reaction score
Are there any full-time working parents out there?

How have you dealt with child care and the amount it costs? I am not a mother yet but this is something I have seen so many people struggle with.
Some of my friends have family to rely on but I don't have anyone to help so we will have to pay for a child minder.

I know the government (UK) helps with childcare but I know that it's still sky high even with this help.

i know in september they are upping the free childcare hours to 30 hours a week. however this doesnt cover a full time job.

im in two minds as to what i do regarding my job, do i go part time once i have the baby, stay full time or give my job up completely.

i work 40 miles from where i live and i need to weigh up my financial options

i know in september they are upping the free childcare hours to 30 hours a week. however this doesnt cover a full time job.

im in two minds as to what i do regarding my job, do i go part time once i have the baby, stay full time or give my job up completely.

i work 40 miles from where i live and i need to weigh up my financial options

That's from 3 years old not sure if it's for low income too that now gets 15 hours for two years old that also depends on the area I think and you're probably best of looking for something close to work or on the way or make sure your oh/relative can pick up lo in case of sickness/emergency.

Do think of how you're better off in regards to working and child tax credits in regards to part time/ full time and you do get 80£ monthly in child benefit.

oh i didn't realise i thought it was from brith.

financially i think me and my partner will be better off me not working or working part time! deffo not full time my wage wont cover rent, bills and childcare!

i never thought about all this when i fell pregnant

Money is one of the biggest reason I haven't had children yet but I feel money will always be a problem so if I keep waiting until I'm really comfortable, it's probably going to be too late.

I'm in the same boat. We are TTC but the thought of going back to work and the costs scares me so much. Everyone says you just manage but I like spreadsheets and plans lol. Even being off a year scares me (the norm at my place of work) i don't want to be looked down upon for coming back early for the money

I'm so much like you Pinkz. I have spreadsheets for everything especially financially. My partner and I split everything by ratio so it's always fair so it's so easy to see that money will be very very tight. I hate the colour red :p

started looking for at discount forums and competitions as such which may help a bit but ultimately, I think that when I do have children, there's going to be a lot of things we don't buy anymore that we never even realised was a luxury.

I went back full time after my first and I have to admit we do struggle - childcare costs us around £1200 a month. I'm pregnant with our second and will try and go back to work 4 days a week after this one but it won't leave us with much after putting two children in childcare. We will luckily get the 30 free hours when my son turns three but I know a lot of nurseries and childminders cannot offer this so it is a godsend that we can get this as otherwise I'm not sure how we'd cope.

My husband and I are both working, but I'm a freelancer, so sometimes I need my mother's help and that's all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back