Any advice on getting baby to sleep?

MissThing

Reaction score
Hello ladies!

What would be your advice on how to get Daniel to sleep?
He was fine for a while, food at 10, then he was up till about 11, then he would sleep till about 2, then feed, he fell to sleep straight away, then he woke up at 7 am.

But lately it changed! :wall: He has his feed at 5pm, then at 9(he is not asleep during this time), and then he doesnt fall asleep for ages!!!Yesterday till 1.30 am in the morning! (I feed him again at about 11 or 12, hoping he might just be hungry)

I dont think he has colics, or anything. He just wants to sit in my arms and be bounced time to time! As soon as I am trying to get him to bed, he starts screaming!

I dont know what to do!

And another question, when you put baby to bed, do you wait till he falls asleep, or just leave him there with his eyes open?

Thanks for your replies!

Carina

Nothing to suggest, just wanted to give you some :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: very best wishes Carina :hug:

if your LO is not distressed when you put him down just leave him awake. we quite often put grace down awake. she has her botlte at 8pm them has a cuddle and goes to bed. you hear her gurggling and kicking but as long as she is not crying we leave her alone. 9 times out of 10 she just nods off herself. obviously if he cries go up to him but hopefully he will learn to nod off by himself. we did this during he night too, she fed in her room and then we just popped her back in her cot and went to bed. she just drifted off herself and it didnt take long fo her to sleep through the night. sometimes i hear her awake but she settles herself. if she cries i feed her but generally we have dont have any bother with her going to sleep by herself. hope this helps. :)

Hiya,

it's been a while since I've been dealing with a really little one but do you mean he's awake from 5pm-1.30am? If so then maybe the problem is that he's overtired and too tired to sleep? It sounds crazy I know but Mel would only sleep 10 hours a day at 5 weeks although I thought he was pretty tired. We put him in an adapted routine (loosely adapted from Gina Ford but don't let that put you off!) where we put him down in his cot all calm etc at more regular intervals and even though he didn't look like he would go to sleep miraculously he did tend to and ended up sleeping more like 16 hours which is more the norm I think. I might be way out here but I think he slept small amounts at about 10am, 12.30, 3.30, 7, 11 and then generally he would sleep until about 2.30-3, have a feed and then go through until 6.30-7am again. I'm sure I read somewhere that newborns/the very little can only deal with a max of about 2 1/4 hours of being awake before they need to sleep to re-charge. When we started to think about this with Mel and actually put him in a position where he could sleep if he wanted too (often in a sling on me in the first few months) then he did do this.

With the screaming in the cot thing you could try playing in the cot with him at a time when you're not putting him to bed so that he associates the place with nice things if you think it has become an issue?

Hope it gets easier for you :hug:
+++

Have you tried raising his matress a little in his cot under his bed - usually a little book or a folded towel under the matress does it... he might have a little reflux which is more painful when lying flat.

Hope you get it resolved soon :hug:

Thanks to everyone for replies :D

I also thought he might be a bit overtired.
But everything is back to normal now. He sleeps from 5 till about 7, then I start feeding him(I breasteed him for ages and then top up with formula), he is a bit unsettled, but fine. Then at 10 we go to bed. I am trying to put his in his crib first, if he is crying, I just take him to bed with me, give him a boob and he falls asleep (its about 11.30 by then). About 5am I dreamfeed him and he is back to sleep till 8 :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back