Antidepressant/Antiphychotic meds

rachaellouise

Reaction score
Is anyone currently taking them? If so which ones and what dosage?
Or have you taken them in a past pregnancy and was all alright with the baby after birth- such as any withdrawl effects like seizures?

Last edited:
I haven't been on anti depressants for two years and came off anti psychotics 4 years ago because they weren't needed.
I know lots of woman who have been on antidepressant medication and babies have been fine.
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rachael it doesn't seem any amount of reassurance from us is helping you at all! You obviously need to talk this through with your doctor again.

I took Citalopram through my last preg . Only 10mg/20mgs - a really low dose and all was fine xx

Rachael it doesn't seem any amount of reassurance from us is helping you at all! You obviously need to talk this through with your doctor again.

I absolutely agree with you Pinky. It's clear that your anxiety levels Rachael are so high that we can't help you. Medical professionals are who you need to be asking.

With all due respect, I am only asking about medications that people have/are taken/taking through pregnancy so I have some more inforation for WHEN I talk to the psychiatrist, I am not asking for reasurance on THIS thread just answers.

Is anyone currently taking them? If so which ones and what dosage?
Or have you taken them in a past pregnncy and was all alright with the baby?

If you read your last sentence you clearly were looking for reassurance and I think people have answered your questions about this in previous thread!

I was talking more from the point of view of withdrawl effects for the baby like seizures and such.

I'm absolutely not having a go when I say this because , i suffer with BPD and I do understand how you feel to an extent , but nobody here is qualified to tell you anything about seizures or withdrawl . As nobody here is your doctor who deals with your individual needs , I know your scared and my advice to you would be to go to you GP or midwife and tell them that you cant wait until the end of January to be seen , tell them your concerns and have them advice you . Explain how much of an impact it is having on your enjoyment of your pregnancy and your everyday life . Because the sooner you are seen to the sooner you will be able to worry less .

Thankyou Tinytoes, I understand that nobody is qualified to tell me about them but I was asking for peoples personal experience with these types of medications, as I have heard what the professionals have to say from their case notes it would be helpful to hear from people on here who have had personal experience with these meds and pregnancy/birth.
Are you currently on medication?

Last edited:
IMO i would be very careful if i were you, i understand you are worried and are just looking for some info/reassurance, but no two people respond in the same way to medication, you could get two people reply to this thread, same medication, same dosage and have two completely opposite responses.

Obviously its handy to know the jist of things, but i wouldnt rely on them too much and wait to see what happens with your upcoming appointment and discuss it with a health professional

:)

I can see exactly where your coming from . I hope I didn't sound to condensing .
Not this time around as I am having regular councilling but with my previous pregnancy I was put on a 40ml dose of ciprimal http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000520.html and although there were some risks my baby was perfect and I felt much better mentally .

It was a tough decision http://web4health.info/en/answers/bipolar-ssri-pregn.htm . I had no negative side effects nor did my baby but I didn't take the decision lightly either . I had to decide that it was safer for me given the negative thoughts I was having .

IMO i would be very careful if i were you, i understand you are worried and are just looking for some info/reassurance, but no two people respond in the same way to medication, you could get two people reply to this thread, same medication, same dosage and have two completely opposite responses.

Obviously its handy to know the jist of things, but i wouldnt rely on them too much and wait to see what happens with your upcoming appointment and discuss it with a health professional

:)

I absolutely agree , while being on medication was OK for me , it may not suit you . It is nice to know about other peoples experiences but in the end the decision is one for a professional . :hugs:

Rachael I just want to say that I complelty sympathise with you, it is a really difficult decision to make as you are not only thinking of yourself but your baby too, which is how it should be!
I think you are doing the right thing taking everything in to consideration before starting up your medication again as even though it may benefit you there are risks which you are trying to find out about.
If you do start the medication again it may be an idea to taper the dose down for the last month which reduces the withdrawl effects to the newborn.
However medication is not always the answer and I think that talking things through is much more productive and helpful so if you can not get any more help on the NHS then maybe going private is the answer, I understand from reading some previous posts that money is tight at the moment but you may be able to explain this to a therapist who may be able to lower the cost for you and maybe see you every other week instead of every week which may help with the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back