Antenatal Classes

crackers24

Reaction score
Hi all, I've never been to an antenatal class and was just wondering if i will be hindering my progress in labour because of this.
I mean is it absolutely necessary to have had atleast a taster of what theyre like or is it ok going into labour as a complete beginner?

Would be nice to hear your views.

I never attended any classes and Calleigh is my first child.
I dont think it would have made any difference to me. I am more of a reader and i just read everything i could with regards to labour.

Yes i was still a little worried as obviously it can be hard to imagine things like how the pain will be and how i will manage with it, but generally i was happy with my birth and looking back i dont have any regrets of not attending any classes.

I never attended any. I even refused any kind of discussion on labour!!! Once in labour my body just took over. It knew what it was doing. And the midwives aren't short of helping you either. They talked me through everything without even asking if i'd been!

I went to mine, they terrified the life out of me, labour was no where near as bad as they made it sound!! The best bit was i met 2 lovely ladies who went through the early days of muddled parenthood with me and 2 years later our children are great friends.

Tbh, the best thing about my antenatal classes was to meet other mums to be. There were 10 of us all together and we meet up for lunch one a week. We have also done loads of other things, such as going to cinema, yoga and baby swimming together. We are currently planning a trip to Paris. I did a NCT class.

Our classes were pretty much everything I knew already. The video (80s mullets ahoy) was pretty useless. It was useful for the likes of learning about pain relief but if you'd done a lot of reading then it wasn't worth it. Was good to be around other folks as terrified as you, though. Didn't really keep in touch with anyone apart from Bee on this forum as we ended up in the same antenatal class!

I found the most benficial things abpout the antenatal class was them explaining the pain relief options so I actually understood them so I knew what I wanted.

The labour ward tour was great as we knew where we were going and was familiar with it all before arriving. I was having doubts about our local hospital but the tour put my mind at rest.

I never went to any classes either, I read lots of birth stories on here & watched some of the birth programmes on Discovery etc. I never felt unprepared, I expected to cope well in labour and did. I'm quite looking forward to it this time :D

I went to NCT antenatal classes which were great for meeting other local mums and also for OH to find out more about it.

I had read loads of books and on here etc so was quite clued up.

There is a book by Ina May Gaskin that is fab if you want things quite natural.

It was interesting to go just to be able to ask specific questions.... but as my LO came 6 weeks early by emergency C-section - none of what I learned was put to any use! :lol:

I went to NCT classes. THey really helped me and OH get mentally prepared for the birth of Kathryn and helped me to understand what was happening to my body when I was in each stage of labour. I forgot most of it in the heat of the moment though but did take on board the info about having an easier labour (staying active, relaxing, massage to help pain, good positions to help labour progress naturally).

Meeting other new mums in my area has been invaluable- there is always someone in the group who wants to try the same class or activity you want to. I would always recommend them but in all honesty- I learned all I needed to know about labour, delivery and breastfeeding from this forum! I used to be class swot at the NCT classes!

i found this very forum more useful for my antenatal questions than the classes! with hindsight i wouldnt have bothered. x

I went to Antenatal Classes and i agree the forum is better for your questions etc i found going to them good to meet other pregnant women in my area and didnt really learn anything i didnt already know from being on the forum and just reading, although i didnt make it to my last A.Class as id already had my son lol x

I went to them when I was pregnant with DD and found they were more helpful than not but I wouldn't say they were essential. The main part was hearing what the options were for my hospital and to be shown round the hospital wards to see what the deal was. I also think it was good for my OH to see and hear for himself.

Last edited:
I was wondering this - my OH wants to go but December is his busiest time of the year with work and is often away most of the time - when is the right time to go? would it be around 30 weeks or later?

Thanks

Jane x

Do the nct cost anything? my midwife has booked me into 2 which the hospital run so are free, but i thought id be going to more than 2!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back