Antenatal classes...worth going?

Lulabell

Reaction score
Basically I have an antenatal class tomorrow from 9am to 3.30pm but will have to leave early as prior engagement in the evening. Only reason why I said I was going tomorrow was cos the only other classes they offered were literally days before my due date.

So, honest opinions please...is it worth going to them?xx

since i've been in tri 3 there have been some really mixed feelings on this. i think it depends on the quality of the classes (which you're not gonna know yet) and also, how much you already know yourself. i found them really useful and felt that they prepared me for the birth completely (well i hope they have lol!). i really enjoyed mine but i know some of the girls on here have been a little let down by their classes xx

:oooo: not much help there really! xx

Ii started parentcraft last week and the first week we had a talk. Out money and entitlements (very useful), parents relationship when baby born, the first few weeks with little one. I found It useful, but mostly to be around other people in the same position as me. Next week we have the midwife talking about birth and pain control, signs of birth and post-natal care

I never went to any in either of my previous pregnancies and like to think i did ok without them. Suppose its up to personal choice but my friend basically told me ones she went to she had read all the info in books so found them a bit useless. I did read a lot in my 1st pregnancy and found this helped

We went to our first last week...........utter waste of time!!

The midwife was only interested in pretending to give birth on the floor and grunting to scare the men there...............made me feel very uncomfy and embarrassed to be honest, especially when she said woman make a noise like an orgasm when giving birth and went on to replicate that!!!

She's clocked that I'm probably not having a natural birth (why on earth don't you want to go in a birthing pool????) and that I'm bottle feeding, so I can feel the anomosity already!!

I feel the classes weren't pitched or delivered right by this woman, with a more forward thinking modern (ok ok perhaps younger) MW it may have been better!!!

i would rather research stuff like that on the internet or books as you are likely to get a teacher that opposes to something you want to do whether it be have a water birth/bottle feed/ have an epidural. My baby i will do it how i want xx

Thank you all. I've decided to phone up and go for the jan classes instead. I will invest in a good book (any recommendations?) and if I go into labour before...oh well. Lol.xx

I got a few books from our local library this time round just to see if they were any different to the ones i had. They werent. Your library should have some all modern day ones principles seem the same xx

We went to our first last week...........utter waste of time!!

The midwife was only interested in pretending to give birth on the floor and grunting to scare the men there...............made me feel very uncomfy and embarrassed to be honest, especially when she said woman make a noise like an orgasm when giving birth and went on to replicate that!!!

She's clocked that I'm probably not having a natural birth (why on earth don't you want to go in a birthing pool????) and that I'm bottle feeding, so I can feel the anomosity already!!

I feel the classes weren't pitched or delivered right by this woman, with a more forward thinking modern (ok ok perhaps younger) MW it may have been better!!!

Uh oh. Do you recall her name? If I'm having the same one, I'll pass!

I did the NCT class and had my last one yesterday. I found it fab tbh.
Our teacher was lovely..... completely on the fence about everything, just gave us the info and didnt say what she thought was right or wrong or better or worse etc.
I found out a huge amount about pain relief etc that i never knew and as well, I think it was a fab experience for my OH as he has no experience with babies.
I didnt realise how much info had sunk in for him til we did a bit of a pop quiz yesterday, boys v;s girls, and he was like the school swot, answered first 3 questions befor eanyone else, i was well impressed lol
I really think it depends on the teacher though... I know Starfish did NCT and she wasnt impressed with the person who led theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back