An eventful journey home

Bexie

Reaction score
Yesterday was my last day at work before starting my maternity leave. I got a call my my mum at about 12 saying the snow was getting bad and if I wanted to get home I'd better leave work now. So I said my goodbyes to all my colleagues and started the 12 mile journey home. Normally it would take me about half an hour to get home, it took me 3 hours!

I got so far with no difficulty (bit of snow on the road so I drove carefully) as I approached a steep hill in the middle of no where with no mobile coverage I turned a sharp corner and skidded and missed a stone wall by inches, by this point I was getting a bit scared thinking how am I going to get home safely, there is no way I'm going to be able to walk the next 6 miles if I have to abandon my car! I got so far up the hill and noticed that lots of cars had been abandoned. Luckily my of my neighbours was there and said there was no point even trying to get up the hill. So I sat in the car trying to keep warm, thinking how on earth am I going to get home from here! A girl who was a couple of cars ahead of me said her dad was coming to tow her up the hill, when my neighbour told her I was heavily pregnant she insisted that her dad took me first (being pregnant has it's advantages) While all this was happening I was getting lots of twinges of pain and I was just praying that labour was going to start. Her dad arrived and managed to tow me up the hill which was great, but I ended up in the ditch a couple of times and also crashed into an oncoming vehicle, luckily the driver was fine and didn't want to bother swapping insurance details. (I now have some blue paint on my white car as a reminder of the journey)

Once I got to the top of the hill, I was left to make the remainder of the journey on my own. I was terrified, I'm not the best of drivers in extreme weather conditions. So the rest of the drive home I didn't get out of 1st gear and drive over 10mph, I just kept on thinking as long as I can get to the village before mine I can walk from there. I let a 4 x 4 overtake me as I was going so slowly and the driver must have been my guardian angel as once they overtook me, they drove really slowly making sure that I didn't end up in another ditch or crashing my car. I found out later that the driver knew I was heavily pregnant so just wanted to ensure that I got home safely. What a star!

On arriving home my mum came running out of her house (she lives riht by me) and said how releived she was to see me. She'd been so worried. Earlier on in my pregnancy I said that my dream was to get airlifted to hospital and the whole way home I just thought be careful what you wish for.

Luckily my partner managed to get home about 45 mins after me. My twinges had stopped by this point (I think it must have been that I was tense)

So after my journey home in the snow and ice I am now thinking of applying for Jeremy Clarksons job (maybe not!!)

That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing such a lovely story, and what a star your guardian angel is :hug: Glad you got home safely, and I hope you dont end up getting airlifted when you're in labour :wink:

gosh your story has me :cry: ..glad you got home safely

Seems you had a couple of people keeping their eye on you last night.....glad you made it home safely :hug: :hug: :hug:

aren't some people lovely to look after you like that, such a nice story and glad you are safe xx :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back