Amniotic band????

kayley

Reaction score
hiya been for my 20 week scan and was told everythink was fine :) but i have a amniotic band in the sac were baby is got to go back in 8 weeks for another scan but done a bit of research and is a bit worried as it looks scarey and in sum cases life threating to baby am so worried but didnt get much info from doctor :/ just woundering if anyone else has had this and wat happened to u and ur baby and if they see it has wrapped around my baby wat will they do?? xx

never heard of it but just found this x

As the baby develops, its extremeties may become entangled resulting in immobilisation, trapping, constriction or even amputation. It really isn't known if the reports of limb reductions associated with early CVS are due to amniotic bands. On ultrasound the bands appear as thin, mobile lines, which may be seen attached to or around the baby. About 70% of amniotic bands disappear on follow-up ultrasound, presumably due to rupture or compression.

If there is no evidence of any abnormality, other than the amniotic band, at the time of the scan then there appears to be little risk to the baby. Other reassuring factors are normal fetal movement and the band not being attached to the baby. In this case they have been called 'innocent amniotic bands'.
One study has looked at 25 cases of innocent amniotic bands and found a 4-fold increased risk of preterm delivery (before 37 weeks) and a 9-fold increased risk of a low birth weight infant. The numbers in this study were small and this is something that needs a larger study to confirm or refute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back