allotments

budge

Reaction score
does anyone have one?

im looking into getting one. I want the children to know where food comes from first hand etc.

If you have one could you tell me what the rules are about having oine and how much they are. Thanks.

My grandad has one and I think the land is owned by the church? You have to join a waiting list and they are quite strict about what goes in them.

My grandparent's one is over their back wall and although my grandad is 83 and really too old to be tending it now, they like the privacy it gives them so they've planted flowers and turfed it a bit which isn't strictly kosher.

Yey, allotments rock! We've got one and grow loads of stuff, the sweetcorn at the moment is particulary delicious.

Ours costs the grand sum of £6 per year and we rent it off the council. Rents vary so much, I think city ones tend to be a bit more. We live in a tiny village where there isn't a huge demand so its all quite relaxed.

Again, rules and regs vary so much. Ours are so laid back, you can grow what you want and do what you want. No committees, mtgs or rules to follow. However, some are so strict (again it seems to be the inner city ones) that they are positively anal! The inner city ones tend to be bit more regimented because demand for them is so much higher.

Either contact your local council who will tell you where your nearest ones are or, if you know, wander down and find the old guy sitting by his shed with a cuppa (there is ALWAYS one) and he'll tell you what the score is and if theres any free plots.

We are currently making Evie a bit of lawned garden for next year at ours so she can play while we grow!

My OH has got one. It's quite cheap, as it's from the council. I'll ask him how much when I see him later.

I don't think you're allowed to have fires there, plant an enormous tree, or keep hens (which you probably would've been allowed to do a few years ago.) But the rules aren't too extreme :)

We just grow a few bits in the garden.

This year we have carrots, brocolli, runner beans, celery, lettuce, a pumpkin (which the slugs got) and some cucumber. :)

Mason takes it to school for show and tell :D

Urchin said:
We just grow a few bits in the garden.

This year we have carrots, brocolli, runner beans, celery, lettuce, a pumpkin (which the slugs got) and some cucumber. :)

Mason takes it to school for show and tell :D

Just a few bits then lol

xx

Well yeah a couple of each :lol:... although we had tons of brocolli and it went massive :lol:
Mason has a section of the garden, with a little "my garden" sign and a little fence around it. LOL

I am on the waiting list for one and I am SOOOO excited!!!! Its bout £30 a year I think here. There are 90 plots on our local one, and 0 of us on waiting list so I might be waiting a long time :bored: :sleep: :rotfl: Its in a lovely location though, across the road from me and through the local park where we spend a lot of time with the dog/Ruby anyway

I really want Ruby to grow her own things when she is bigger....her nursery have an allotment, they grow veg and eat it for their lunch!! Good huh???

I cant wait to spend hours there on a sunday with Rubes in her wellies and little spade :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

My gramps had one and it was pretty relaxed. He grew loads on it, used to love eating peas straight out of the pod. OH is making me a a raised bed section in the garden so I can grow more vegs. We only grew tomatoes this year (slugs had my cucumbers :() but will have to watch Seren as she just kept helping herslef to the tomatoes as soon as they were red. Hardly any made it into the house lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back