Ahhhhhh! COUNCIL TAX!!!!!!!

nickilubs

Reaction score
:cry: We have just received a letter saying that we are now due to pay the full amount of council tax which is £900 for 6months and will not be receiving any housing benefit this month because I have got a 20hour a week job.

20 f***ing hours! and they want it payed by the end of this month! I already have to spend that money on my car Insurance and road tax. We cant afford our rent either and they have just told my OH that this is our own problem and too take it up with our landlord.

I enjoy working but seriously they don't make you want to work do they! I am already owed £1500 that they have taken 3 years to sort out because they had over taxed me in my last job! (that I have told them about and they have done NOTHING to sort out!!!) But its fine for them to take their time to pay you but if you owe them then it has to be done right away!

Sorry about the rant but I am sooooo p*ssed off. If I sat on my arse all day and carried on claiming jobseekers I would be better off! How does that work! :cry: :cry:

council tax is the most annoying bill we have to pay! i hate everything about it... it's totally unfair! and what exactly do we get for it... it's robbery! the thing is if you don't pay they come after you and add on all kinds of late payment charges, court costs (even when you miss one month) it's a fight you can't win! go back on job seekers and tell them to p*ss off!

h x

Its just their way of proving that it doesn't pay you to work! I work because I enjoy my job, but it really does make me want to quit because we would be so much better off! We try and do right by informing them of all the changes in our circumstances and they do you over!

hayley said:
council tax is the most annoying bill we have to pay! i hate everything about it... it's totally unfair! and what exactly do we get for it... it's robbery! the thing is if you don't pay they come after you and add on all kinds of late payment charges, court costs (even when you miss one month) it's a fight you can't win! go back on job seekers and tell them to p*ss off!

h x

I don't think you can claim it if you've quit your job by choice, our council tax bill has just gone up its rediculous cause we don't get any of the services we're taxed for except the bins emptied and that can be hit and miss!! :evil:

I think your best bet is to ring them tell them you can't afford to pay it in one go and discuss arranging a payment sceme of what you can afford if they wont do this, which I think they have too, then go to citizens advice they will work out what you can afford to pay and what help you can and can't get and give you advice about council tax and rent/ housing benefit and talk to people on your behalf about your circumstances and how you need to set up a payment sceme to pay what you can afford they won't say no to citizens advice

Penstraze said:
hayley said:

h x

I don't think you can claim it if you've quit your job by choice, our council tax bill has just gone up its rediculous cause we don't get any of the services we're taxed for except the bins emptied and that can be hit and miss!! :evil:

I think your best bet is to ring them tell them you can't afford to pay it ione go and discuss arranging a payment sceme of what you can afford if they wont do this, which I think they have too, then go to citizens advice they will work out what you can afford to pay and what help you can and can't get and give you advice about council tax and rent/ housing benefit and talk to people on your behalf about your circumstances and how you need to set up a payment sceme to pay what you can afford they won't say no to citizens advice

Thats very good advice, if you are getting some housing benefit it may be worth applying for a discretionary housing payment to cover what they dont pay

see here for info http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-7371.cfm

also check out your benefit entitlement as they do get it wrong sometimes
www.entitledto.co.uk/

Hope that helps

hey chick,

i hate it too....in the middle of applying to housing benefit and council tax help myself so i hope its not going to be a pain in the arse!!!

I would get down to citizens advice and see where you stand, we went during the week as OH has now lost his job due to medical grounds and we are financially fooked!

Definately agree winth Panstraze..I moved into my first house with my friend when I was 19 and being naive didn't realise we had to pay Council Tax. By the time we realised (6 months later) I was about to move out and thought they wouldn't know, but they caught up with me in my next flat and I stupidly ignored it and just recently recived a court date at this address (my 3rd flat!) I phoned them and they agreed to a re-payment scheme. They should understand if you plead poverty :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamie50
Back