advise re dead animal in street

mum2A&L

Reaction score
Sorry not a nice subject, but by the looks of it someone has left a dead cat on the pavement outside our flat. I assuming it has been knocked by a car. Poor little puss :(

What do i do - i can't see an obvious collar - but im not going to go out there and move it, as i have my own cat and i don't want to upset her (other cat smells etc..). plus there is no knowing what it died of and i would hate to pass something to my cat, or myself or alice.

Is there someone i can call? People just keep walking past it and looking at it, but no one seems to have stopped. I don't want to assume someone has already 'dealt' with it if you catch my drift.

Ive looked at the RSPCA site and their general advise line is shut at the weekends :wall: - i don't think it warrants a call to their 24 hours animal cruelty line somehow.

The council usually have someone who deals with this - but they won't be open on a weekend I guess. (I know because when my cat went missing I was advised to call the council to see if he had been 'collected'. :( )

When a cat had died in my MIL garden it also had no collar on. We rang the vets and said to take it to them they would check to see if it had a id chip thing in etc and I think they sent it to be cremated.

:hug:

Our local council has a department that deals with things like this. I saw them come and collect a dead owl from a green near our house (lord knows how it got there :? ) on a Sunday, so I think they work 7 days. I'd check your local council website and see if they have a similar department. Failing that, I'd ring my local police station (not 999, obviously!) dead animals are a health hazard, and I'm sure they'll have animal services officers that are used to dealing with that type of thing, and I wouldn't want to go handling it myself!

It is your local council hun, they deal with all collections of dead animals. As to whether you'll get them out on a weekend is another matter and depends on your council :roll:

Are you sure you couldn't put on a pair of gloves and put it in a bag/ box and pop it to your local vet (gruesome I know, sorry) but it could be someones much loved pet and if it has an identichip the vets will be able to scan it and contact the owners to let them know whats happened to it - I'd like to know if it was my cat :(

Poor little kitty

A&J said:
When a cat had died in my MIL garden it also had no collar on. We rang the vets and said to take it to them they would check to see if it had a id chip thing in etc and I think they sent it to be cremated.

It might be an idea to ring the vets. My cat got run over a few years ago and luckily someone took him to the vets (he was already dead :cry: ) then when we realised he was missing we just rang round all the local vets until we found him. If no one had taken him in we never wouldve known what had happened to him. If the cat has worried owners out there then the vet may be able to get the deails from a chip and let them know. Its worse when they just vanish :( Poor old pusscat :cry:

Council!! why didn't i think of looking at their website :oops:

Ive managed to get through to someone - he said he would pass the message on to the revelent people. Its on the pavement and there are loads of kids down our road. I would hate to think it died of something nasty and some kid picked it up if you catch my drift. Still, i feel better now ive done something.

Fluffy bunny - im too much of a wuss to go and pick it up :oops: . Ive suggested it to OH, but he turned his nose up as well. If i knew it has just been hit by a car i would go and put it in a box.

I feel a bit happier now ive done something. Its a black cat, and we have so many around here i don't reconise who it belongs to. poor little puss :(

Sam&Alice said:
Council!! why didn't i think of looking at their website :oops:

Ive managed to get through to someone - he said he would pass the message on to the revelent people. Its on the pavement and there are loads of kids down our road. I would hate to think it died of something nasty and some kid picked it up if you catch my drift. Still, i feel better now ive done something.

Fluffy bunny - im too much of a wuss to go and pick it up :oops: . Ive suggested it to OH, but he turned his nose up as well. If i knew it has just been hit by a car i would go and put it in a box. (

Most councils will scan it so they'll be able to pick up if it has a microchip and contact the owners - as long as they get to it before the kids :?

Does sound very likely to have been run over if its just laying by the road. You're not a wuss for not going to pick it up, I deal with these things every day and in some ways have become 'hardened' to dealing with stuff like this which is why sometimes its so matter of fact for me :D

The other thing you could do is give a few of your local vets a call on Monday and just give a description of the cat and where you saw it then if owners are phoning around vets they'll have a record of it. Like I say, as a cat owner, its nice to know whats happened if they just disappear. :hug:

well they have picked it up!! blooming quick if you ask me! :shock:

sazzylou said:
A&J said:

It might be an idea to ring the vets. My cat got run over a few years ago and luckily someone took him to the vets (he was already dead :cry: ) then when we realised he was missing we just rang round all the local vets until we found him. If no one had taken him in we never wouldve known what had happened to him. If the cat has worried owners out there then the vet may be able to get the deails from a chip and let them know. Its worse when they just vanish :( Poor old pusscat :cry:

I agree with Sazzy... please contact the local vets. My poor cat was run over by some moron one evening and didnt even have the audacity to stop and take her collar off and call me with the contact details. When my neighbour found her she had been there for a day on the side of the road. I loved that little cat and i was truly heartbroken when i found out she had been killed but at least i was able to say goodbye to her and have her cremated. I have her ashes here and she still has as much respect in this house dead or alive. I lost another cat, he was ferral but i house trained him and gave him a home. He got scared by fireworks one night and ran away and never came back. A year later i still looked for him, never knowing what had happened to him, whether he was still alive. At least give the owners a chance to know their cat is dead because they are probably frantically trying to find him as I type this. Other than that... leave him there so they can probably find him or someone else will take him to the vets.

Sam&Alice said:
well they have picked it up!! blooming quick if you ask me! :shock:

Im glad they picked the cat up so quickly. Im sure they'll check if he/shes chipped or not...i hope he was :(

xxsammyxx - we had a cat run away too. He ran into a neighbours house and knocked over a mirror which smashed and scared him so much we never saw him again. Months later we were moving out of the area and my mum still looked for him , just in case we found him before we left. We never did :( Its awful not knowing :hug:

Poor thing.... i dont let my cats out anymore. When i was happily enjoying a day out with my mate at the local water park i answered the phone all cheerful... a strange voise asked me if i had a tabby cat? I answered yes, aww have you found her? Its ok shes mine, we only live at number 8 so she will find her way home.... it was then he told me she was dead. My reaction caused the whole water park to close down (ok it was not a busy day as it had started to rain) but people were generally distraught at my reaction. I couldnt help it.... she was my little friend and i loved her. I wont go into anymore detail as i dont want to distress people with intricate details, i suppose you never really understand until you have owned an animal and been there. RIP Dweebs xxx

Poor puss :( . Don't know whether it would be an idea to put up a sign on a lamp post saying cat found with your mobile number on it? If one of my cats got run over I would want to know instead of searching the streets for them and always wondering what happened to them. It might not have been microchipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back