Advice

Sali2012

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I've had two miscarriages this year, one in January and second in July. I have an appointment to see a consultant next Wednesday but I'm not sure what to expect. I'm nervous as well as kind of curious so I can find out why this happened to me twice? I already have a fourteen year old daughter. Both times the embryo failed to develop properly! I'm scared- any advice or guidance....

Thank you xxx

Sorry I can't help with advice on what to expect as I've only had one miscarriage to date, but just wanted to say hope it goes well. Let us know what they say xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Timtam, sorry to hear about your loss.. x

Hi, I have just had my second miscarriage and have an appointment to see gynae consultant a week on tuesday. I'm not sure what to expect from this appointment either. Sorry that probably doesn't help much.....
I have quite alot of questions so think I will try and write them down before the appointment as I know when I go in my head will go blank, might be helpful for you too if you are feeling a bit nervous.
Sorry to hear about your losses, it is just so unfair that we have to go through this.
Hope you find the appointment helpful, let us know how you get on xx

Hi Sali,

Sorry for your losses. I am glad you are able to see someone at this point, my NHS trust do not investigate until loss #3.

This is my experience:

I had 3 miscarriages in the space of 7 months last year (@ 8 w, 5w and 6w) - they were all early and all occured naturally. That doesn't change the fact I was in bits and thought I'd never manage to have a healthy pregnancy

GP referred me in November 2011, we had our appointment in Jan 2012 and got results in March 2012.

We went to UCH in London and the main things they tested for were

1) Womb abnormalities - internal scan for me
2) My blood - blood test
3) My Egg quality - blood test
4) Chromosome disorder - blood test for both me and OH.

They also looked at my hormone levels, my antiboidies, my thyroid and a few other things. I had two internals on certain cycle days and I gave 14 vials of blood in one sitting (it wasn't that bad :shock:). I also had to go back for a few more blood tests on various cycle days.

They did advise us that only 30% of recurrent miscarriages have an actual cause and that for most couples it is purely down to rotten luck!

I was also advised that if there was a problem with any of the above I'd need treatment. They said treatments could be:

1) Womb abnormalities - If I had cysts or anything wrong I could need surgery to correct
2) My blood - If I had sticky blood I would need a series of injections
3) My Egg quality - this could lead to IVF
4) Chromosome disorder - this could lead to IVF.

We got our 4th BFP the day before we got our results and as it turned out we fell into the 70% that just had rotten luck!! Our tests showed no reason at all for our losses.

The consultant said there was no reason for this pregnancy to be successful and he gave me a prescription for high dose Folic Acid (I had to ask for this)

As I say this is just my experience.

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hi Alibaby, so sorry to hear about your losses. I hope you find answers and wish you all the best!

Hi Carnat22, sorry to hear about your losses. thank you so much for your time and detailed post. This is certainly very helpful. I already have a daughter with my husband so this should make things less complicated in regards to checking chromosomes matches etc... I hope to fall into 70% and theres nothing seriousLy wrong! Really want to have one more before my daughter turns fifteen! The plan was before she turns fourteen but unfortunately didn't work that way!

Thank you both and wish you all the best :)) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back