Advice re chicken pox/measles

LucyBee

Reaction score
Girls,
One of the girls at work has just had to leave work to pick up her one two year old from nursery as he's covered in spots. The nursery have said that it's not meningitis but could be measles or chicken pox.
Sorry to be paranoid but she's coming back to work at about 3.30pm today. Is it safe for me to be around her??
Any advice would be great.
Lucyx

Ooo, not sure Lucy. I know I'd also be concerned if this was me though.

Has your work-friend had either before?? If she has, I don't think she can be a carrier even if her LO has it, but don't quote me on it.

I would say to ring NHS direct. They are really good for questions like this. And, if in any doubt, get yourself off home and stay there!!! :lol:

No it's not, especially if you've not had it both! My collegue here had the same with her son, think she caught it was well there was some uncertainty about that so she was advised not to come back until it all had cleared up so really she should consider not coming back in case she infects someone unknowingly i.e. you! Apparently it takes awhile it to manifest (3-4 days) and the carrier is contagious during this period.
Later Loose Noose!
Dxxx

Both my girls have just got over chicken pox,I had it when I was little though so the doctor wasn't bothered,you should of had a jab against measles at school hun,have you had chicken pox? xx

Thanks girls. I am waiting for her to text me tonight to tell me what the doctor said. If it's anything vaguely worrying then I'll call NHS Direct and see what their advice is.

I am secretly hoping that I can have a week at home in the sunshine but somehow I don't think that's going to happen!

Thanks for your replies.
Lx

i work in a nursery around chicken pox all the time and app im fine since i have already had it, but i do make a point not to hold or change nappies of children with chicken pox.

HTH
cas x

Hi Lucy

I was looking at a chicken pox information site yesterday because Zara had a rash (think it was the heat) and it said that if a pregnant woman has been exposed to the virus that she should contact her doctor straight away.

That said, they probably say that about everything just to be over cautious.

Thanks all for your replies.
She finally called me yesterday to tell me that the doctor has said her son has an allergy.
So, all is safe for me to return to work tomorrow. Not sure that's a good thing?! :wink:
L x

So, all is safe for me to return to work tomorrow. Not sure that's a good thing?!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it is!!! Anyway, before you know it you'll be on maternity leave.

Hi Lucy!

Glad that it's nothing serious!

This situation happened to me at work too! I got sent home though! :D

How are you getting on? any morning sickness or anything??

L x

Hi Lisa,
Getting on ok - so far so good but it's slloooowwww!
Feel jet-lagged and nauseous - really feeling rubbish tonight so am carting myself off to bed (will watch Big Brother all tucked up!).
I'm not complaining though as I'm thinking symptoms are a positive thing!
Lovely to get your post Lisa.
L xx

LOL I know what you mean about it going slow. But believe me, it soon comes along (I used to get annoyed when people said that to me!!) But, I have to say it is true. I find it hard to imagine having a big bump now - yet it was only 4 months (and a bit) that I had one!

I am just soooo pleased for you - no one deserves it more.

Now get those feet up and RELAX!!!!

Make the most of it cos as I am finding out - I now have to book time to have a bath!!! - just little things like that- so make sure you pamper yourself now! :D

Make sure you keep us posted :)

L x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back