• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advice on taking baby swimming

scaredbuthappy

Reaction score
Im going to center parcs in january, my baby will be about 6 months old.

Im just confused about what she will wear in the pool with regards to a nappy. Im assuming they obviously dont wear a normal nappy as this would just fill with water but ive heard of swim nappies. What are these? are they like disposables where she can only wear them once and then when she goes in the pool the next day would i have to use a new one?
Or can you use them more than once. I wanted to get her a little swimming costume but how can i put her in a smimming cossie unless she has a nappy on. Or would you put a swim nappy on and then a swimming costume? Or should i forget the swimming costume and just put her in a swim nappy and little pants? or just a swim nappy??? How much do these cost????
I have no idea sorry for being so thick i just would like to know what im going to need to take, we are going for 5 days and would probably use the pool at least once a day. I obviously dont want her pooping in the pool so desperately need some advice.
Could i also ask how long a baby can be in the pool for? Can you bob them around for a fair while or is there an ifection risk or something if you keep them in too long? She will be about 6 months when we go and ive never taken her swimming before so im a bit nervous and not sure whats best.
Thanks so much for any help.

You can get disposable swim nappies which cost about a fiver for 8 (ish). You can also get re-usable swim pants that are lined with plastic to keep in any mess.

We take Jake in a dispobale swim nappy with (non-lined) trunks over them because he just look so cute them :lol:

hth :)

We took Connie swimming this morning :D

I put her in the huggies swim nappies, I bought the Tesco own but they don't have the sticky bits and are like pull ups and I like to pull the sticky bit nice and tight to make sure we don't get leakages. I don't bother with a swimming costume, just use the nappy. It would be more things to put on and take off.

We just bob around and talk to her. She doesn't really seem bothered by the water and today was the first time we actually got a smile from her as she's usually just watching everyone else. We went for about 20 minutes but may have stayed a longer but was a little cold.

I rinse her off well when we get home so the chlorine doesn't dry her skin out.

Have fun :D

Some tips I have kind of worked out for myself... Take a travel change mat with you so that if the family changing rooms/changing tables are all taken you can still lay baby down somewhere safe, clean and soft!

Buy a swim nappy that open up flat like a disposable nappy does. Getting pull on style disposable or washable swim nappies on a wriggling baby is hard work but also when it comes to taking them off it's harder to make sure any poo that's in them doesn't get pulled down their legs, making a big mess! (Fortunately this is only something I have thought about- I haven't experienced this) Disposable pull on styles can be ripped off at the sides once used which is easier.

Dress your baby as simply as possible for the weather conditions- I usually just dress Kathryn in a nappy, sleep suit and then a coat if it's cold and a blanket for when she's in the car/pushchair if I think she needs it. Saves fiddling about with lots of layers, poppers and stuff when baby is already quite tired and grouchy (if my LO is anything to go by!)

Hope the swimming goes well!

I have been taking my daughter every week since she was 8 weeks old. I use a disposable swim nappy http://www.littleswimmers.com/uk/ and I put a swimming costume on over that (like Tangerinedream, just because it looks cute :D ).

Flowergirl's advice is good about keeping dressing and undressing simple. I usually take April in a sleepsuit and coat. Much easier and quicker and keeps her snuggly.

As for what to do in the water....we sing nursery rhymes and do actions. e.g. Grand Old Duke of York. I lift her out when he is 'up' and dunk her in (up to her chin) when he is 'down'. She sits on the side for Humpty Dumpty and I lift her in when he falls off of the wall, then we jump across the pool as all the kings horses and men come galloping to put him back together again. lol!
We sing If you're happy and you know it, splash your hands/kick your feet/wet your face. I used to move her limbs to show her what to do, but now she can splash and kick herself.
We do the actions of Incy Wincy Spider and I gently pour water over her head when the rain comes down. (This is to get her used to water on her head/face/eyes)
We do loads of others too - you can get quite inventive.

I give April opportunity to experience being on both her front and back too, supporting her by firmly holding her under her arms. It is good to take a favourite bath toy too. We take April's duck and she tries to reach and and grab it when she is on her front. She chases it all over the pool. :D

In cold water (30 degrees)we can only last about 20 minutes, but in warm water (35 degrees in a hydrotherapy pool) April can last for an hour.

Have fun!! We are going to Centre Parcs next month when April will be 7 months, I am dead excited!!! :hug:

OOH let me help iv got a lil water baby! yes u can get disposable ones "little swimmers" (made by huggies i think) are the best coz when they are soggy u can just tear them off at the sides instead of dragging them across babys skin and hurting (swim nappies are pull-ups not like normal nappies). also u can buy washable ones for about £7 or £8 i think, iv seen them in sports centres when iv taken melissa swimming and i *think* iv seen them in sainsburys too :think:

some swimming costumes actually have nappies built in- melissa's is tesco cherokee with cherries on and frills its so cute- that has one built into it!

babies dont seem to like soggy nappies/swimsuits being pulled off as they drag on the skin but i found a solution- take off the costume while still in the water! (if u can, if baby dont wiggle too much or if theres two of you) it slides off easily. then when u get out either give the wet baby costume to someone else to carry or stuff it down ur cleavage- dont hang it by the straps on ur arm in case u get it caught and u trip over.

happy baby swimming, they love it!

i have took Dylan since he was 2 months old.. i actually like boots swim nappies much cheaper than little swimmers

i also have the splash about nappy ontop ..theses are what swim schools demand.

hope you have fun

Thanks so much for everyones replies you have all been very very helpful. I may try the disposable nappies first and take her to our local pool and see how we get on. It doesnt have a baby pool though so i hope it wont be too cold, i wish all swimming pools were warm i hate cold pool water but do love the hot showers after though. Thanks again really helpful :hug:

scaredbuthappy said:
Thanks so much for everyones replies you have all been very very helpful. I may try the disposable nappies first and take her to our local pool and see how we get on. It doesnt have a baby pool though so i hope it wont be too cold, i wish all swimming pools were warm i hate cold pool water but do love the hot showers after though. Thanks again really helpful :hug:

If you are worried about LO being too cold I can really recommend these:

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfa ... gory=LSW82

We had one of these and it was fantastic, kept LO really warm and looked cute! We used to put a Huggies swimnappy on then this and it is really good as it had velcro all round and so you don't have to drag it off.

Our LO is a nightmare to get changed, so I get out and get dressed, then go back in with a normal nappy and a towel and we get her out of her swimming stuff at the side of the pool so that changing is easier - this wouldn't be a problem if there were family changing rooms you can all go in.

Also, now that she is older I tend to take a snack with me to keep her occupied while I get her dressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back