ADVICE ON AMOUNT OF MILK NEEDED

Valley Girl

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been having problems getting Toby to take milk during the day. He is happy to wake at night and drink it (grrr! :x ) but not at all during the day. So I decided after trying to find information online and finding it all conflicts to ask my health visitor, and I'm so glad I did.

This is what they recommend for a bottle fed baby.

A baby of six months who is eating solids (Toby has three meals a day) needs a pint of milk a day. To drink this should be formula milk, and to cook or in food it can be cows milk.

BUT this can be made up in different ways.

You can give baby cereal for breakfast eg weatabix, with cows milk on it.

Add cows milk to cooking, and cheese

2 small fromage frais = 1/4 pint of milk
1 Babybel cheese = 1/4 pint of milk

So as long as your baby drinks a bit of milk in a bedtime feed and a bit in the morning or through the night you can make it up in other ways and not worry at all about their intake.

The health visitor said that at six months a baby starts to need nutrients from food more than milk, and that as long as you follow guidelines on salt etc and eggs (not til 8 months) they can pretty much eat what you eat.

They also advise that obviously baby needs to drink during the day to keep fluids up and stop constipation. She said that apple juice (just ordinary not expensive baby juice if you don't want to buy it) and water mixed half and half is a good choice.

I thought I'd pass the info on as I have found it really useful

Vicki x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back