advice needed...worried friend

cobwebs_85

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

just wondering what your thoughts are on this..

A friend of mine has got a 5 month old baby and has taken him of milk completely, because apparently he throws it all up, yet when he stayed at mine and he was fed milk (by my friends sister) he was fine n didnt throw anything up, heres the bit that scares me, shes put him on Sugar water instead!!

What advice can i give this girl,i'm not a expert but i'm worried what shes doing to this poor child! you could see the difference in my LO and him, he shud be a bouncy little happy thing but all he wants to do is drink water n be cuddled, when at 5 months they should be playing and finding themselves!

Any advice would be grately appreciated. Just really concerned for this child.

Thanks
xx

:shock:

If she's concerned he isn't drinking the milk then she should take him to the GP.

I'm astounded she would give him sugar water?!?!? What was the reasoning behind that?

Could you encourage her to take him to the GP?

She really needs to take him to a gp , that's cant be good for the poor little thing at all :shock:

Agree with Tor and Tiny , she really needs to take him to the doctors !! I don't understand why she's giving him sugar water?!?!? Xxx

Thats what i said but apparently she knows best....this is her first!

Shes giving him sugar water cause hes constipated, were meant to b avoiding addingsugar to their diets not purposely adding it! am i right in worrying??

Aww hun no I would be worried too! Milk at 5 months old is the main source of nutrition for a baby. I think maybe try persuade her to go the docs? X

I'm worried !!! Really need to encourage her to go Gp or hv my mum tried to get me to give rhea sugar water ( said to put 3 grains in) and I wouldn't do it !! And she is my third ! Know some babies don't get on with milk but there is always something else to try like soya milk ? Hope this helps Hun xxx

Thanks girls

My friends sister has rang a HV and asked if they can do a visit, you can see that the poor mite wants milk! he was watching my LO n was literally foaming at the mouth! she said when we dropped him of (as we had fed him about an hour before we took him home) he threw the whole bottle up! yet he didnt throw anything up wen we had him! scares me aswell as she use to be a nany!!!!!! u'dthink she more sense!!

you can change the milk i.e going from apitmil to SMA? as it could,if he is throwing it up, be the brand that doesnt agree with him? think shes just selfish not looking at the reasons y hes doing it....orifhe is!!

Sugar water can be given to calm the baby down, as a temporary measure T was given this when she was in hospital. And of course lactulose is a form of sugar solution intended to draw water into the bowel to aid digestion and bowel movements. But giving him it as a sole form of nutrition at 5 months old is not good.

I hope she sees sense quickly

Me too hun, her family have tried tellin her but she wont listen and has cut them all out! just worried that the baby is going to end up severely ill :(

She is neglecting his very basic needs here. Does she realise this?

She's not ill/depressed is she?

The fact she has cut out her family is worrying.

Dont think she does realise it, i didnt wanna take him back tbh! this is the time you need your parents round you to help guide you....i still ask now if i'm doing things right, she just wont listen to people apart from this one friend,that by the sounds of it hasnt got a clue either!

Sounds like he has reflux mine used throw bottles up she needs to take him the doctors babys need their milk! x

And how the hell can any1 live of sugar water is he having food aswell poor baby x

This has confused me a bit. Is the baby only getting sugar water or has she weaned him early?
Clearly he is not getting his basic needs met as he will get no nutrition at all from sugar water, therefore what she is doing is neglect and is very serious. Personally I would be contacting their HV myself to make her aware of the situation.

Hes getting food aswell but he seems to want a bottle too as he was looking for his bottle, a HV has been called but i am tempted to call social services myself! anyone with sense wud go straight to the docs for anything! jeez i took my LO cause he kept sneezing, was just him clearing his sinus's but still i wanted to check! think shes just being immature and inexperienced! like i said i'm no expert but you check surely??

If it was me I would get social services involved. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but the woman clearly doesn't know how to care for a baby.

I actually think it's your duty to call social services as what is happening is a form of neglect, whether it's intentional or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back