8 weeks and so drained..

debbie Lock

Reaction score
So I'm 8 weeks and I'm so so tired.. I know it's completly normal but I'm overly emotional and it's making me cry.
I have hyperemesis too and the medication was helping for the first week but now I just sick those up.. So being unable to keep hardly any food down and being tired all of the time I just feel pretty down.. I'm so so happy to be pregnant and I wouldn't take these things away if it meant I wasn't carrying my baby but some days it's just so hard.. Anyone else struggling sometimes?

Hey, I'm a fellow hyperemesis sufferer, 4 times so I know just how awful it is. Can I ask what anti sickness meds you were given as there are so many types and I had to have the strongest ones to control the symptoms enough to keep me out of hospital. Was in hospital twice on a drip before I hit 8 weeks this time around as the doctors refused the meds I needed until then. I'm not saying the meds were the fix and until I was 18 weeks pregnancy is just pure hell, but the tablets did make it more bearable.

Hey, I'm a fellow hyperemesis sufferer, 4 times so I know just how awful it is. Can I ask what anti sickness meds you were given as there are so many types and I had to have the strongest ones to control the symptoms enough to keep me out of hospital. Was in hospital twice on a drip before I hit 8 weeks this time around as the doctors refused the meds I needed until then. I'm not saying the meds were the fix and until I was 18 weeks pregnancy is just pure hell, but the tablets did make it more bearable.

Thank you for your reply.. They are called cyclizine.. I was in hospital 2 weeks ago and my midwife prescribed me the meds straight away so I can't fault that, I just really wish they were working better.. I only work part time so I'm lucky in that aspect but the days I do have work, it's horrific.. I also had hyperemesis with my 2 daughters but its never been this bad.. Maybe its because I'm older now, I just feel like I can't cope like this for another 7 months x

Cyclizine are the first line in anti sickness meds so I would definitely go back and ask for different ones. Prochlorperazine or metoclopramide would be good ones to try next. I took ondansetron which is the strongest ones, I've needed stronger ones and higher doses with each pregnancy so it could be due to being older or just the fact we are busier with work and other children to look after. There is no way want so ever I was able to work, I've only recently returned at 27weeks after being off from 6 weeks. Although from 13weeks was due to the lockdown and being vulnerable, but my work has got us back working now. Did your sickness let up with your daughters, mine always did bu the time I was 20 weeks, but even that feels like a lifetime when your only 8 weeks

Are you able to keep fluids down? If not, you may need rapid rehydration in hospital. At the same time they can give you IV antiemetics until they can get on top of it and then you move to the tablets again. Best to take the tablets regularly rather than waiting till feel sick as by that point it can be hard to get on top of.

Cyclizine are the first line in anti sickness meds so I would definitely go back and ask for different ones. Prochlorperazine or metoclopramide would be good ones to try next. I took ondansetron which is the strongest ones, I've needed stronger ones and higher doses with each pregnancy so it could be due to being older or just the fact we are busier with work and other children to look after. There is no way want so ever I was able to work, I've only recently returned at 27weeks after being off from 6 weeks. Although from 13weeks was due to the lockdown and being vulnerable, but my work has got us back working now. Did your sickness let up with your daughters, mine always did bu the time I was 20 weeks, but even that feels like a lifetime when your only 8 weeks

Ah OK thank you, Ill get in touch with my midwife today and see if I can try an alternative. No I was sick all of the way through with both up until delivery.. Work is a massive struggle, I'm constantly running off to the toilet to be sick and I'm so drained I don't even know how I get through my shifts but I'm trying to put money aside so I can have my full year off after so trying to avoid being off if I can help it x

Are you able to keep fluids down? If not, you may need rapid rehydration in hospital. At the same time they can give you IV antiemetics until they can get on top of it and then you move to the tablets again. Best to take the tablets regularly rather than waiting till feel sick as by that point it can be hard to get on top of.

Yesterday was a bad day where I was unable to keep anything down at all, fluids included. Most days I can keep fluids down but still have the constant nausea and can't keep solids down.. I am taking the tablets every 8 hours as advised but I'm being sick within half an hour of taking them so I'm unsure if they're even making it into my system x

Oh bless you, so tough to have it the whole way through. If you are having days where you aren't keeping even fluids down you really do need to try something stronger. You probably aren't keeping them down at all if your sick within half an hour, I'm sure I had to re take a dose if i was sick that soon after. They can give you melts which dissolves in your mouth, they are horrible tasting but helpful when you are being sick so much. I honestly have no idea how you are staying at work, not even the money side could keep me in work in those early weeks. I hope your midwife or even a gp can get you on some different meds today x

I'd contact your GP to review your meds - a midwife can't prescribe them for you.
If you've already been seen once in hospital for IV fluids for this problem, most maternity assessment units will let you self-refer after your first attendance which is usually referral by GP. If you're not keeping the tablets down, you can't keep fluids in, you should get checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back