18 weeks no movement :(

whisper78

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this so hope I get it right! I quickly registered here because I'd like some advice / info. This is my 3rd pregnancy - totally unplanned and unexpected. I'm 18 weeks now and haven't felt any movements at all. I had my scan a month ago and bubsy was moving around very energetically. But nothing since. I've just been burying my head in the sand thinking well, if anything has happened at least I haven't bonded. But, I have and I so desperately want everything to be okay. My other two were fantastic pregnancies and just slid out without pain relief!
I'd just appreciate some reassurance from someone - my next scan is end of next month (crappy hospital!).
Would it matter if I'm overweight? I was slim with the other two but ended up putting on lots of weight before got pregnant with this one. Just didn't expect to get pregnant at all.
Hope to hear from someone.
Thanks for reading

Hi Whisper Welcome to the forum!! I'm really not sure to be honest as this is my first pregnancy. I suppose there could be a whole load of things getting in the way of you feeling movements. My first thought that maybe the placenta has moved a bit, and it's buffering things more. I'd definately get in touch with your midwife for a bit of reassurance, she'll be able to check the heartbeat. Nothing worse than worrying yourself! Hope others can give a bit more reassurance too! :hug:

i dont really know what the answer could be, but as megs said contact your midwife and they will check baby is ok by checking heartbeat. i no my OH`s brothers OH could feel baby moving then around 20wks she couldnt feel him moving anymore but it was just where baby had moved around so maybe you baby is not kicking to the front maybe its kicking to the back or up where places you cant feel? good luck im sure everything is fine x

hi mrs... calm for starters... if you are overweight you are likely to feel movements a lil later... you could try to "encourage" movement lol with some sweets in the evening and a warm bath but its still early days. baby will be playing footie with your insides in no time :D xxx if your really panicking you could invest in a doppler or stethoscope?? xx

In both my pregnancies I had an anterior placenta and didn't feel any movements at all until 20 weeks because the placenta cushions kicks towards the front. Also if baby is kicking towards your back you won't feel it at this stage. I know it's hard not to worry but I'm sure everything is fine :hug:

Did your midwife look for the heartbeat at around 16 weeks?

i'm a week behind you and but have felt no movements, don't know when to expect them though either
My mw listened for the hb a week ago and we heard baby moving around and kicking with a healthy hb.
I am overweight (don't know if that counts), but my mw said it would be a few more weeks before i felt anything of bubs.
If your worried phone your mw and ask what is "normal". Try not to stress yourself out !! :hug:

Thanks to everyone for replying. Gosh, I can't believe how lovely people are. I do hope everything's okay - as unplanned and unexpected as it was, I do really want bubsy now.
My midwife is really unhelpful. I'm about three stone overweight - and boy did I never think it would be such a big deal. I went for an appointment last week and she was more bothered about telling m e all the negative things, etc, ie gestational diabetes, how being overweight can be threatening for the delivery of the baby. I later started crying and told all my worries to another midwife who was lovely but was in a rush so couldn't do anything. No-one has bothered to reassure me by listening to the heartbeat since I had my last scan a month ago. Can I move my appointments to another hospital / clinic? I was up north for my last two pregnancies and the people were so lovely. Now I'm in London - it's just depressing!
Lisa, can I buy a stethoscope or doppler? and do they work? Do the machines that pick up heartbeats, that you can buy from boots etc, work? I'd definately pay for teh reassurance.
Thank you so much everyone - you've been lovely. Can you pass on the vibes to my midwife!
Bestest wishes with everyone's pregnancies :) hug hug

You should try an angel sound, you can get them from ebay, So glad I bought one, have been able to hear the heartbeat for some time and it is a great reassurance. I am almost 18 weeks overweight too and still have not felt the baby move but as I have been able to hear the heart beat I have not been worried.

Hey whisper, not sure if its any help, but I didn't feel my first until I was just past 19weeks and I was really slim and fit with my first. I am 15weeks with my second and not so slim now and so not fit and still no movements as yet!! Everyone keeps saying that no two pregnancies are the same and so far that has rung true with me, try not to worry.x

My guess was the placenta's position as well :) I'm sure everything is ok xx

Hey hun, this is my 3rd baby too and i didn't really feel any real movement until around 19-20 weeks, i also have an anterior placenta and have a bit of weight on me. Hope this helps xx

I agree with Sam's Mum and Mamafy - my placenta was on the front wall of my uterus last time and I started to feel Rosie quite late; my guess is this is what is going on with you too :)

Hi Whisper!! Just wanted to let you know that I am 19weeks, plenty overweight, have a confirmed anterior placenta (confirmed at 17 weeks 5 days via a scan when the midwife couldn't find a heartbeat - v. v. v. v. scary!!!). I know that bubs is OK in there, I have had 4 scans so far and have my 20 week scan in a couple of weeks time. Be careful with the dopplers - I have bought one but it recommends that it shouldn't be used before 21 weeks, so I haven't even opened the box yet - if your placenta is buffering movement then it could also make it difficult to detect a heartbeat and so will increase your stress levels rather than reassuring you - it's your choice but I know that I would be ten times more worried if I looked for it and couldn't find it!! If you have a crap midwife then you could try talking to your GP and explain your concerns - they may either send you for a reassurance scan if they are concerned that you are very stressed, or will at least try and detect bubsy's heartbeat for you to allay your fears.

I'm completely with you though - I'm never quite sure whether it's bubs, wind, tummy rumbles or something completely different when I sense movement!!

Take care, and try not to get too stressed - that would be the worst thing to do!!

Claire x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back