your help please mummies :)

Iwant3

Reaction score
I am a childminder and can't think on the other side of the fence, so wondered if you ladies could help!

could you please tell me what you look for when you visit a childminder, what things put you off, what would you like to happen and like the childminder to do during your visit.

Do you expect to visit outside their opening times or when they have other children there? would you prefer to see the childminder with other children and meet the children your child will potentially be with?

do you expect a spotless show room style house or would you expect a bit of a mess, considering there are possibly 8 children in the house. if there was lunch washing up still to be done by the sink in the early afternoon, would you be put off, or realise that the childminder is spending time with the children rather than cleaning up?

thanks for any input you can give - please be honest :oooo:

Absolutely fine with the dishes. I would be happy as long as the area they are playing with is safe and the toys are clean looking. Personal mess wouldn't put me off as such but would notice it more probs. It's hard when it's in your own house that you have to live in too x

When I was looking for a childminder I didn't have any particular things I was looking for as such. I choose mine because I liked her. The first time I met her she had other children with her, her house wasn't spotless ( neithers mine!). She includes the children in her life and house iykwim. She doesn't have a separate area for them which I really liked. I wanted someone to 'care' for my son.

When I went to visit my child minder it was in the evening after she had finished looking after children for the day. During the day she is working and cannot really be expected to take time off to be 'interviewed' by me. Likewise, as a parent I wouldn't want her to be chatting to other people when she should be looking after my child!

When I visited the place was clean and tidy, she has a dishwasher so it doesn't take long to load it up. I would be put off by pots waiting to be washed.

I had very strict expectations on things like smoking. She gave me a folder containing her house rules, daily planners, emergency procedures etc. it was very reassuring. :)

Personally we picked out childminder because she was a very home from home environment. We looked around while she had other children with her and personally I would always want to see what they are like with the children around.

These are the main things I like about ours
She's not a sucker for routine - my son is allowed to sleep when he's tired and meals are served at slightly different times each day
She gets out and does lots with them - they do trips to parks, soft play, zoo etc
Meals and drinks are the type of things he gets at home, home cooking with the odd fish fingers and oven chips
Her husband is a registered helper and home all day with the kids too

It's hard to describe really, I just liked her personality and approach with the children, that she was laid back but strict. Some childminders we met were like old school matrons! It also helped friends of ours had their daughter with her, so she came thoroughly recommended from a trusted source.

I would want to know what school runs etc she does. Is my child going to be dragged around 3 different schools/playgroups 3/4 times per day! I'd like to know what car she drives - safety is a big deal to me, and I'd like to know she had a decent motor (by decent I mean not a rust bucket!). I'd like to know what she would be feeding the kids and what they'd be doing all day - is there a routine/structure in place.

Maybe 2 visits too - 1 to see how the kids react to her, and one to have a proper formal chat, and go through everything.

Along the car front I'd be very interested in car seats and what the provision is with them or what I need to provide.

Cleanliness would be one of my things, I don't mind abit of mess but I think you can tell where there is good hygiene and where there isn't.

I don't think I'd necessarily want to see when the children are there but it would be nice. I always take those things with a pinch of salt anyway as its of the moment and not typical of a number of factors throughout the day and week.

Safeguarding and meals would be my biggest concern so if you can be very clear with that I'd be giving you extra brownie points

Safety would be paramount for me. What qualifications you have in terms of child care and safety, fist aid etc. cleanliness rather than tidiness if that makes sense. Safety features in the house. I'd want to know I what you had done with baby all day like a little report, what they ate how many nappies etc. what happens if you go out again re safety. What activities you do with them, I'd be looking for stimulation and learning activities. Hope that helps, good luck! X

I'd be wary of an overly clean house as that might imply the owner spends more time cleaning than doing her day job! As long as it's safe that's it for me. It's more important to see how the childminder is with the children and how they get along together as far as I'm concerned. xxx

At first I checked ofsted and visited the outstanding providers. I went for a childminder as she was lovely and had her own website that listed menus, her qualifications, timings of a typical day and the themes and topics that would be covered each half term. There were photos on their too so I already knew what was what. This meant that when I visited during the day, I could focus on things like is it clean( unclean and messy are 2 diff things). I then got a feel for her and watched how she interacted with my LO rather than asking qs about her rates and opening times etc.

She said she has never been busier since she put her website up and it's a sign of the times that people want info at their finger tips. She now has an assistant 2 days a week and is full everyday.

Hope this helps x

This is very interesting for me as we are about to open soon, we have a website so im glad to see that it's helpful n to see what people will look for n how different it is for everyone.

Michelle.x

We haven't had our first little one yet but thought I'd give you my input anyway!! I know dirty dishes would definitely put us off I'm afraid! We would want to see interaction with our own child I think and wouldn't be too concerned with meeting the other children knowing there would be different ones different days. Bit like school really in that we wont be picking the school on which pupils are going to be in their class. I guess though you have to be ready for everyone looking for something a bit different as this thread has highlighted- childminders/chameleon it is then ;) good luck!

I'd think if their house is too tidy when children are there or have just left that they were tidying instead of giving the kids the attention so messy (so long as it's kids mess and dirty lunch dishes) would be a good sign I think. If your lo is small I'd be want to know how many very young ones she has, I have a paranoia about choking on food so.I'd like to.know the other kids she looks.after are at an age to feed themselves and all her attention would be on my lo.when she was eating

I'd think if their house is too tidy when children are there or have just left that they were tidying instead of giving the kids the attention so messy (so long as it's kids mess and dirty lunch dishes) would be a good sign I think. If your lo is small I'd be want to know how many very young ones she has, I have a paranoia about choking on food so.I'd like to.know the other kids she looks.after are at an age to feed themselves and all her attention would be on my lo.when she was eating

childminders working on their own are only allowed 3 under 5 at any one time and of that 3 one can be under 1 year. with exception of twins where childminder has to have evidence to show she can care for them both at the same time, has necessary equipment etc. I have cared for 7 month old twins before and used to have them in the highchairs that clip on the table side by side with a bowl for each would feed them together. I work with my husband full time so there is always 2 of us, so leaving washing up and leaving children unattended etc is not a problem.i have been a childminder for 4 years, not just setting up - I just wanted to hear parents views on visits :)

I have my own 9yo, 5yo and 10 month old and worked up until the day before I gave birth to our 3rd and returned to minding 4 days after her birth......all parents kept their children with me throughout and new families came on board when she was still really young. My older daughter has been with 2 children here since they were all one and they now go to school together. My youngest daughter has benefited in that her development is quick paced as she has so many other children of different ages and stages to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back